Aaron Applebaum is an associate in the Firm’s International Commercial Practice Group in Washington, DC. He advises on international trade law, with a particular focus on US customs law and trade compliance. Aaron began his career at a multinational consumer electronics company where he represented the company before customs authorities in various countries and designed, implemented, and administered trade compliance programs.
Aaron draws on his in-house experience to convert legal advice into practical business solutions for clients. Aaron’s US customs practice involves advising clients on how to maintain duty savings, including through valuation- and classification-based strategies, and how to take advantage of preferential rates of duty under free trade agreements.
He also counsels clients on import/export regulatory requirements imposed by various government agencies such as the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and Federal Communications Commission (FCC). His practice includes providing customs and other regulatory advice in connection with mergers and acquisitions, country-of-origin marking, and antidumping/countervailing duties issues.
Aaron regularly conducts internal compliance reviews, prepares detailed prior disclosures and compliance improvement plans, and represents clients in customs compliance audits and enforcement actions.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (JD) (2014)
- Saint Louis University (MBA) (2014)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (BA) (2011)
- National University of Singapore (Visiting Student) (2010)
- Court of International Trade~United States (2018)
- District of Columbia~United States (2018)
- California~United States (2016)
- Illinois~United States (2016)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association – International Section
- Chicago Bar Association
Rate : $$$