With more than 18 years of experience, Aaron J. Capron’s comprehensive patent practice includes patent portfolio management, client counseling, and post-grant proceedings related to electrical, electronic, telecommunication, and software-based technologies.
Aaron has been co-lead counsel for several post-grant proceedings, including one of the first cases instituted under the America Invents Act (AIA). Using his experience before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and in all aspects of pre-trial litigation, Aaron assists clients with making strategic decisions under these new proceedings.
Aaron counsels clients of all sizes on prosecution, post-grant considerations, portfolio management, and pre-litigation strategies. He has drafted and overseen the drafting of hundreds of patent applications for electrical, electronics, telecommunications, and software-based technologies.
Patent portfolios he manages protect a range of technologies, including network virtualization; web content optimization; data aggregation systems; mobile devices; and digital health technologies.
Aaron’s patent experience includes working with technologies directed to wearables, robotics, digital rights management and data security, gambling devices, video games, virtual reality systems, medical devices, network infrastructure, business methods, Internet services, telecommunications, GPS systems, and semiconductors.
He also provides opinions regarding infringement, validity, and product clearances. Aaron served as a patent examiner at the USPTO, examining U.S. and international patent applications in gaming machine hardware and software, video game hardware and software, and electronic sports equipment.
He worked as a systems engineer at Lockheed Martin, assisting with systems integration and software development, testing ground control software for GPS satellites, and testing and rolling out new services and software on the network.
He serves as a co-managing editor for Finnegan’s AIA blog on PTAB trials and AIA provisions. Aaron devotes time to pro bono matters. He has represented several military veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and the Federal Circuit.
- Santa Clara University School of Law J.D., 2007
- Iowa State University B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1999
- U.S. District Court, C.D. California
- U.S. District Court, N.D. California
- U.S. District Court, S.D. California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Bay Area networking chair, New Lawyers Committee, 2010-present)
- San Francisco Bay Area IP Inns of Court
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Association (SVIPLA) (board member, 2013-present)
- American Bar Association
- PTAB Bar Association
Rate : $$$