Aaron J. Malo is a partner working in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group of the firm’s Orange County office. Mr. Malo’s practice focuses on bankruptcy and litigation issues. He primarily represents lending institutions, equity groups, financial services corporations, equipment lessors, landlords, real estate developers, and other creditors.
Mr. Malo has extensive experience in all aspects of bankruptcy and workout proceedings, and has also served as lead trial counsel for significant jury and bench trials in both state and federal courts. Additionally, Mr. Malo has developed a specialized practice counseling clients on all aspects of high stakes landlord/tenant issues, taking many such matters to trial.
He frequently writes, teaches and lectures on bankruptcy, litigation and creditors’ rights issues. Previously, Mr. Malo taught bankruptcy law at the Orange County campus of Golden Gate University’s Graduate School of Taxation. Mr. Malo has a strong commitment to community service and the provision of pro bono legal services.
He has served on the Public Law Center’s board of directors since 2006, has served on that organization’s executive board since 2013, and served as president of the PLC’s board of directors for 2017. Mr. Malo leads the Orange County office’s pro bono efforts, in which capacity he helped pioneer a new collaboration between Sheppard Mullin, the Public Law Center and Children’s Hospital of Orange County that serves the families of ill children seeking treatment at CHOC.
Mr. Malo has handled significant pro bono cases protecting the interests of veterans, immigrants, and exploited persons. Mr. Malo is among the leaders of the Southern California bar, recently completing a four year term as a lawyer representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference (2010-2014). As a Ninth Circuit lawyer representative, Mr. Malo attended the Central District of California Judicial Conference and Ninth Circuit Chief Bankruptcy Judges conferences each year.
He was invited to speak about modern bankruptcy case solicitation practices as the Ninth Circuit Chief Bankruptcy Judges Conference in San Diego in 2012. In addition, Mr. Malo has served on the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum’s board of directors since 2007, was among the initial members of the Central District of California Bankruptcy Bar Advisory Committee (founded in 2009), and was recently appointed to serve on the Central District of California Attorney Admissions Fund Board.
- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 1995, Managing Editor, Hastings International and Comparative Law Review, Hastings Public Interest Law Foundation
- A.B., Stanford University, 1992, with honors
Admissions : California
- California Bar Association (member 1995-present; Business Law Section, Financial Institutions Committee 2001-2003; chairman of the Subcommittee on Committee on Commercial Lending 2001; chairman of the Subcommittee on Litigation 2002, 2003)
- Public Law Center of Orange County (President 2017, Vice-President 2016; Secretary/Treasurer 2015, board of directors 2006-present; executive board 2013 to present)
- Member, California, Los Angeles, and Orange County Bankruptcy Forums (member 1995 to present; board of directors OCBF 2007-2015, 2017 to present)
- Ninth Circuit Lawyer Representative (2010-2014)
- Central District of California Bankruptcy Bar Advisory Committee (in 2009-2010)
- Central District of California Attorney Admissions Fund (2017-present)
- Financial Lawyer’s Conference (member 2000-present)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (member 1997-present)
- American and Orange County Bar Associations (1995-present)
Rate : $$$$