Aaron C. Smith is a Partner in Locke Lord’s Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Insolvency Group. Aaron has extensive experience representing clients in connection with corporate restructuring both in and out of court.
In the chapter 11 context, he has advised and litigated a number of matters for both debtors and creditors, including labor and employment, financing, and corporate matters, avoidance actions, claims objections, setoff disputes, lift stay motions, and chapter 11 plan confirmation issues.
He also serves as counsel to official committees of unsecured creditors and bondholders. On the transaction side, Aaron has advised debtors, buyers, and creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy sales, plans of reorganization, plans of liquidations and disclosure statements.
He also represents both buyers and sellers in distressed asset sales, including multi-billion dollar transactions. He frequently is involved in counseling clients on the potential bankruptcy implications of strategic corporate transactions.
- Representing the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation in the chapter 11 reorganization of Sears Holdings Corporation
- Represented Device Expert, Inc. in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Mad Catz, Inc. and its affiliated debtors
- Represented BroadRiver Asset Management L.P. as proponent of a competing plan in the Life Partners Holdings, Inc. bankruptcy case
- Represented DiamondRock Hospitality Company as senior lender in the chapter 11 bankruptcy case concerning the Allerton Hotel
- Represented the successful plan proponent in the Whitton Corporation chapter 11 case
- Represented the Joint Liquidators of Tri-Continental Exchange, Ltd. and affiliated entities in their chapter 15 cases
- Represented the Estate Representative of Global Crossing Ltd.
- Represented the Official Committee of Bondholders of Farmland Industries, Inc.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Payless Cashways, Inc.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- J.D., with honors, University of Iowa College of Law, 1999
- B.A., University of Iowa, 1995
Admissions : Illinois
Rate : $$$