Adam Whiting is a US patent attorney with a Ph.D. in chemistry and over 15 years experience preparing, prosecuting, licensing, and litigating patents for clients in the chemical and life sciences.
Dr. Whiting’s legal career includes over 10 years as a patent agent, associate, and senior associate at the international law firm, Howrey LLP, and nearly 5 years as Senior Director of Intellectual Property at the publicly traded biotechnology company, Codexis.
Dr. Whiting’s combination of scientific fluency, big law-firm seasoning, and in-house business IP savvy allow him to provide his clients with the targeted counseling they need to manage IP risk and capture, protect, license, and commercialize their innovations.
Dr. Whiting provides his clients a range of legal services including:
- Drafting and prosecuting new patent applications, and building portfolios that efficiently provide worldwide protection aligned with business needs.
- Performing IP diligence in support of business development and M&A activities, including patentability, validity, freedom-to-operate analyses.
- Drafting and negotiating IP transactions in complex joint-development, government, and commercial agreements.
- Counseling in US patent litigation, USPTO post-grant proceedings, and EPO opposition proceedings.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Dr. Whiting was an NIH-funded post-doctoral researcher applying advanced spectroscopic and chemical technologies to understanding the structure and function of complex molecules including proteins, DNA, and inorganic catalysts.
- Santa Clara University, J.D., 2003
- University of Oregon, Ph.D., Chemistry, 1993
- Reed College, B.A., Chemistry, 1986
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Rate : $$$