Adria L. Perez focuses her practice on representing both corporations and individuals in white collar criminal defense matters, government enforcement issues, as well as internal, criminal and SEC investigations. Her experience includes handling issues relating to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, False Claims Act (including government contracting, healthcare and tax matters), environmental crimes and Civil Investigative Demands. Ms. Perez assists clients in responding to inquiries from and government investigations conducted by the DOJ, SEC, OCC and Office of Inspector General from a variety of federal agencies. She also counsels clients on developing and strengthening compliance programs and policies.
Ms. Perez was selected as one 2017’s “Top Lawyers Under 40” by the Hispanic National Bar Association. In 2018 and the six years immediately preceding, Super Lawyers magazine recognized Ms. Perez as a Georgia “Rising Star” in the area of White Collar Criminal Defense. She was named one of Georgia Trend’s “40 Under 40” for 2017.
Ms. Perez was selected as an “On the Rise” honoree in 2016 by the Daily Report. In 2013 and 2014, she was listed as a Georgia Trend“Legal Elite” in the area of Criminal Law. Ms. Perez was recognized as a 2011 “40 Under 40” Rising Leader by the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
Ms. Perez is fluent in Spanish. Para ver esta biografía en español, presione aquí.
- Performed an internal investigation with regard to alleged FCPA, fraud and export issues for a company’s Audit Committee with regard to conduct all over the world, including Kuwait, Vietnam, Costa Rica, and Egypt. Also, aided in strengthening the company’s compliance program.
- Conducted a privacy assessment concerning the maintenance of customer data in Mexico after a Fortune 50 company acquired two Mexican companies.
- Obtained a complete declination by Department of Justice and SEC of an FCPA matter for a public company client. Conducted a multi-national FCPA investigation and provided a voluntary disclosure to DOJ and SEC on behalf of an Audit Committee. Also assisted with training and instituting compliance improvements.
- Advised corporate clients, including manufacturers, oil and energy companies, information management corporations and retail companies, on potential and actual sales and transactions in Iran, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Iraq, Russia, Myanmar, Libya, Venezuela, Cuba, and Sudan.
- Conducted an internal investigation and represented a healthcare practice in responding to a civil investigative demand and investigation into whether the practice violated the False Claims Act. After over two years of investigating, the DOJ decided to close the matter without taking any action against the practice.
- Represented an executive at a public construction company during parallel investigations by the SEC & DOJ and convinced the DOJ to use the executive as a cooperating witness during a criminal trial.
- Conducted an internal investigation in the United States, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey and Dubai into anticorruption issues for a Fortune 100 company in response to a government inquiry. Assisted company with government disclosures to DOJ.
- Represented a former broker during the DOJ’s largest antitrust investigation and convinced the DOJ to use the client as a cooperating witnesses as well as successfully obtained a lenient sentence for the client.
- Conducted an internal investigation into alleged FCPA, conflict of interest and code of conduct violations in Mexico for a public company.
- Persuaded the Department of Justice not to take any action against a financial institution for alleged violations of fair lending laws despite a referral to the DOJ by the FDIC.
- Performed an internal investigation for an international public company into Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues in Brazil, Portugal and Africa.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a company concerning alleged fraudulent conduct in the Philippines by company employees and third-party agents, and recommended measures to further improve the company’s compliance program.
- Represented a group of employees in an investigation by a U.S. Attorney’s Office, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and Immigration & Customs Enforcement relating to the export of medical devices to sanctioned countries.
- Internal investigation for special committee of board of directors of a bank related to misuse of bank resources by executive officers, including reports to special committee, board of directors, outside auditors and regulators.
- Conducted an internal FCPA investigation for a manufacturer relating to conduct in Argentina. The investigation included reviewing materials in Spanish and conducting interviews of Argentine and Chilean employees in both Spanish and English. The investigation’s findings were favorable to the client.
- Conducted an internal investigation into Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues in the Caribbean for a public company and later, provided extensive training to executive officers, the legal department as well as employees.
- Advised an international consumer goods manufacturer on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues as well as assisted in drafting its FCPA policy, guidelines and contract language.
- Conducted an internal FCPA investigation for a public company relating to conduct in Argentina. The investigation included reviewing materials in Spanish and conducting interviews of Argentine and Chilean employees in both Spanish and English. The investigation’s findings were favorable to the client.
- In less than four months, convinced the Civil Division of the Department of Justice that a whistleblower’s claims against a company did not merit the Government’s intervention into a sealed qui tam litigation. Soon after, the whistleblower voluntarily dismissed her litigation.
- In less than three months, we convinced the Department of Justice not to take any action against a client employee for allegedly stealing trade secrets from a competitor. During the investigation, our client continued to be a witness and did not have any criminal exposure.
- Convinced the Department of Justice to decline prosecution of a construction company, after the DOJ had previously identified the company as a target of an environmental crime investigation.
- Assisted corporate clients with responses to Civil Investigative Demands issued by U.S. Attorneys’ Offices and state Attorneys General.
- Reached a favorable settlement with a relator, the federal government and State of Georgia for a medical practice in a Federal False Claims Act litigation brought by a former employee.
- Columbia University, J.D. (2004)
- Florida State University, B.A., International Affairs and Spanish (2001) summa cum laude
- Parker School of International Law, Certificate in Comparative and International Law
- Georgia (2004)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Rate : $$$$