Clients rely on Alan Bakowski to help them navigate complex litigation matters in state and federal courts. Whether representing private individuals or multinational corporations, Alan delivers thoughtful analysis of business disputes to maximize success for his clients.
Alan W. Bakowski has a broad range of commercial litigation experience in state and federal courts across the United States. He has represented individuals, small companies and large multinational corporations in a variety of business disputes, including consumer class actions and cases involving breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition, breach of fiduciary duty and violation of antitrust laws.
He also has counseled numerous financial institutions in loan default and foreclosure proceedings, including management of court-appointed receivers. Alan is excellent at maximizing value for his clients by working with economic experts to address business valuations and theories of economic damages in litigation.
He also has significant experience in the area of trust law, having represented numerous trustees in complex litigation matters involving the interplay between trusts and the management of privately held companies in which the trusts hold interests.
Further, Alan has substantial experience drafting appellate briefs, including amicus briefs, in state and federal courts.
- Stanford Law School, J.D., with distinction, Order of the Coif, 2008
- Georgia Institute of Technology, M.S., 2005
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., 2004
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia, District of Columbia.
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Professional Experience : Law Clerk to the Honorable Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 2009-2011
Representative Matters :
- Advised members of the Rollins family in multiple lawsuits involving complex disputes over the management of family trusts and business entities, including numerous appeals in the Georgia Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court on matters of first impression.
- Counseled Turner Network Sales Inc. in a lawsuit asserting claims against DISH Network for breach of its obligations under the parties’ affiliation agreement.
- Advised Domtar Corp. in a breach of contract dispute involving the sale of manufacturing equipment to a company in the Dominican Republic.
- Represented a merchant service provider in Texas state court in a breach of contract dispute with an electronic payments processor, which resulted in a successful settlement at mediation.
Rate : $$$