Alan J. Epstein is chair of Venable’s Entertainment and Media Group, and the West Coast Business Transactions Group, which includes corporate, tax and wealth planning, real estate, and bankruptcy.
Alan counsels public and private companies on various corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions, licensing matters, human resource issues, and joint ventures.
He also represents celebrities, professional athletes, public personalities, and influencers in connection with their business activities, and provides tax and wealth planning services to high-net-worth individuals.
In his transactions practice, clients in leading production, technology, Internet, and digital media companies; branded merchandising and licensing businesses; investment funds; and high-level executives in public and private companies have come to rely not only on his legal counsel, but also on his strategic business advice.
He also supports prominent entertainers and professional athletes in matters that include endorsement and sponsorship deals, sweat equity partnerships, investment funds and portfolio investments, and the development and launch of consumer-facing businesses.
These services are complemented by Alan’s significant experience in domestic and international tax planning and compliance matters, including advising clients on both “inbound” planning and “outbound” transactions and activities all over the world.
- Represented 3 Arts Entertainment in the sale of a controlling interest to Lionsgate Entertainment. Deal concluded in May 2018
- Represented a major Hollywood film and television production company in the launch of its video game division; deal was backed by a leading global Internet giant
- Represented former MGM Studios CEO Gary Barber in various employment agreements and the sale of his remaining $260 million equity stake.
- J.D. Order of the Coif UCLA School of Law 1987
- B.B.A. University of Wisconsin 1982
Bar Admissions : California
Professional Memberships :
- Member, advisory boards, Ziffren Center for Media, Entertainment, Technology; Sports Law, UCLA School of Law
- Member, Young Presidents’ Association, Angeleno Gold
- Member, board of directors, Constitutional Rights Foundation
- Former committee member, Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Film Industry Advisory Committee, 1999 – 2003 (negotiated various rules and regulations on behalf of the entertainment industry)
- Member, board of directors, Alliance for Children’s Rights
- Classroom mentor, Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship
Rate : $$$