Focusing his practice on intellectual property transactions, regulatory schemes, and privacy and consumer protection law, Alan L. Friel is a thought leader regarding convergence legal issues – the property, liability, and regulatory implications at the evolving intersections between media, marketing, technology, distribution, commerce, big data and communication brought about by the ongoing digital revolution.
Alan represents clients in acquisitions, financing, distribution, development, publishing and financing transactions, especially in cases where complex intellectual property and regulatory concerns exist.
Having served as a general counsel for several years before returning to private practice in 2001, Alan understands how to give practical advice to business people and how to help them make informed business decisions.
He brings the experience and foresight necessary to help companies and entrepreneurs navigate the compelling yet complex opportunities that disruptive technology creates. Alan also coordinates the firm’s Retail and e-Commerce industry initiative.
- Regularly advises a growing streaming media provider regarding the acquisitions of competitor services, including how to acquire users and their data in compliance with complex federal and state video privacy laws.
- Advises on HIPAA and state medical privacy laws regarding IT transactions and service providers, including de-identified data usage and sharing. Counsels covered entities on HIPAA and other compliance issues relating to marketing campaigns.
- Advises on IP, data privacy and protection, and industry-specific issues on M&A, financing and other corporate transactions (e.g., due diligence, issue identification, the drafting of APA/merger agreement provisions, and counseling on warranty and indemnity issues).
- Negotiated over-the-top television channel deals for content and commerce companies on MSN, YouTube and smart TV platforms, and represents two over-the-top streaming media distributors.
- Advised a reverse mortgage lender on privacy and other regulatory issues regarding lead generation and use and data base exploitation.
- Advised an educational software provider regarding COPPA and FERPA compliance regarding product design and vendor engagements.
- Advised social media and user-generated content services publishers regarding intellectual property issues related to user-generated content, content scrapping, music licensing and digital distribution issues.
- Represented a semi-open-source hardware developer regarding developing terms and conditions for the crowdsourcing community.
- Counseled clients regarding privacy implications of location-aware services and structured and negotiated agreements between e-commerce companies and geo-location services.
- Represented the inventor in a license of technology to DirecTV and an ongoing consulting arrangement.
- Represented the largest U.S. professional beauty supply company in all matters including acquisitions and joint product development arrangements.
- Negotiated A- and B-level, above and below the line, talent deals for TV and film productions and financing and distribution arrangements for the productions.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- The Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel: Law Firm Advisory Board
- American Lawyer Media publications: Internet Law and Strategy and Cybersecurity Law & Strategy, Board of Editors
- New York Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- Loyola Marymount University School of Law: Adjunct Professor
- UCLA School of Film, Television and Digital Media: Assistant Professor and Legal Advisory Board Member
- Zocalo Public Square: Ex officio Board Member
- J.D., Northeastern University School of Law
- EPM, University of California, Los Angeles Anderson School of Management
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- New York
Rate : $$$