Alan H. McConnell provides environmental representation, counseling and litigation services on a wide range of legislative, administrative and regulatory matters in the field of environmental law, with a particular emphasis on the Clean Air Act. Other areas of his practice include solid and hazardous waste regulation (including CERCLA, RCRA and state solid and hazardous waste programs), the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), the Clean Water Act (including the regulation of wetlands and water resource allocation issues), the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act (Proposition 65), occupational safety and health issues, land use issues, and environmental liabilities attendant to corporate transactions.
Mr. McConnell has extensive experience with state and federal environmental and administrative laws, with special emphasis on the regulation of air pollution. He has assisted industrial clients with stationary source air quality permitting (both Title V and state permits) and enforcement matters throughout the nation.
Mr. McConnell has also represented numerous clients before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit in the appeal of final U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rules promulgated under Titles I (stationary sources) and II (mobile sources) of the Clean Air Act.
- Represented an international building materials company regarding a range of environmental issues including advice related to a national multi-media environmental compliance audit.
- Serves as national environmental counsel to world’s largest and most influential trade organization serving the home furnishings industry, where we provided comprehensive environmental counseling in the areas of air pollution, water usage and discharges, waste management, and environmental sustainability.
- Achieved a settlement on behalf of Bassett Furniture Industries, Inc. in litigation brought against Bassett and over 150 other furniture manufacturers and retailers under the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (Proposition 65). In Re Proposition 65 Flame Retardant Cases (consolidated action) (State of California, Alameda County Superior Court, No. R13673678) (2013).
- Representation of a Canadian pulp and paper company regarding a variety of environmental issues including compliance requirements under federal and state air quality regulations, community right to know requirements, waste management issues and CERCLA requirements, and environmental issues associated with property transactions.
- Represented a manufacturer of commodity, industrial grade and specialty adhesives tapes regarding a wide range of environmental issues, including environmental due diligence, waste management, product stewardship and air quality issues.
- Represents a multinational manufacturer of chemicals, glass, fiberglass and coatings by providing environmental legal services. We provide environmental counseling to the client in many areas of environmental law, including water quality, waste management, and in particular on air quality matters. Most recently, we have assisted with its response to several significant EPA Clean Air Act Section 114 requests related to their glass and fiber glass manufacturing operations.
- Represented an international specialty chemical manufacturer on a variety of air quality issues, including legal advice regarding a major enforcement action under the Pharmaceutical MACT.
- George Washington University, J.D. (1988)
- University of Georgia, B.S., Forest Resources (1982)
- Virginia (1988)
- District of Columbia (1988)
- North Carolina (1991)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Rate : $$$$