Alan Vinegrad is a partner in the firm’s New York office and a member of the firm’s White Collar Defense and Trial Practice Groups. His practice focuses on representing individuals, corporations and corporate board committees in a wide variety of criminal and regulatory enforcement matters, as well as in complex civil litigation.
He has represented numerous clients in connection with investigations and prosecutions by the U.S. Department of Justice, various U.S. Attorney’s Offices around the country, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York State Attorney General, and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.
Mr. Vinegrad joined the firm after serving as the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. He previously served as the office’s Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney, Chief of the Criminal Division, Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division, Chief of Civil Rights Litigation and Chief of General Crimes.
In addition to his executive and supervisory responsibilities, Mr. Vinegrad investigated and prosecuted numerous criminal cases, personally tried over a dozen cases, and argued over 20 cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, B.S., 1980
Government Service : U.S. Department of Justice – U.S. Attorney’s Office
Judicial Clerkship :
- Hon. Leonard B. Sand, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1984 – 1985
- Hon. Naomi Reice Buchwald, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1981 – 1982
Bar Admissions : New York
Representative Matters :
- Secured a favorable resolution for a leading capital market company and related entities in connection with a residential mortgage-backed securities fraud investigation being conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Adelphia Communications Corporation in defense of the federal criminal investigation, SEC enforcement action and threatened forfeiture actions arising out of wrongdoing by members of the Rigas family.
- A senior executive of a large reinsurance company in defense of a federal criminal prosecution, SEC enforcement action and civil action arising out of alleged $500 million accounting fraud by American International Group, Inc.
- Several publicly-held corporations and senior executives in connection with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice and the SEC.
- Several major investment banking firms in connection with various criminal, SEC, state and New York Stock Exchange investigations into suspected insider trading, accounting fraud, and other federal violations.
Pro Bono :
- Represented several not-for-profit organizations in connection with allegations of financial wrongdoing by members of their management.
- Represented family members of the victim of a terrorist attack in Israel.
- Represented the teenage victim of a sexual assault at a residential treatment facility in Westchester, New York.
Memberships and Affiliations :
- New York Law School, member of the adjunct faculty teaching trial advocacy
- Federal Bar Council, member of the Executive Committee
- Eastern District Association (U.S. Attorney’s Office alumni organization), President
- Vera Institute of Justice, member of the Board of Directors
Previous Experience :
- United States Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of New York (1990-1997, 1998-2002)
- Price Waterhouse & Co., Staff Accountant (1980-1981)
Rate : $$$