Albert Y. Lin has spent more than 20 years in private legal practice and is trusted counsel in a wide variety of transactional areas for healthcare clients. His prior background as a certified public accountant provides particularly strong depth by identifying the tax consequences early in the lifetime of a deal.
Albert has represented hospital districts, large hospital systems, physician groups of all sizes and practice specialties, management companies and nonprofit healthcare organizations at every stage in their lifecycle. He enjoys being a part of a team that can handle complex mergers and transactions in the healthcare field alongside members of Husch Blackwell’s regulatory team.
He has particularly significant experience in the nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations area and is part of the Husch Blackwell nonprofit organizations group, having handled virtually all aspects of tax and transactional matters for the healthcare industry.
He has applied for and received tax-exempt status for dozens of organizations and has been a frequent writer on the topic for state and national publications, such as the Texas Tax Lawyer and Wolters Kluwer Exempt Organization Reports.
A longtime Austin resident, he remains involved in a variety of charitable and professional nonprofit organizations, proudly being an original founding member of the Austin Asian American Bar Association and helping the younger generations of Texas Asian American attorneys develop.
- Represented tax-exempt organizations in connection with securing state and local franchise, sales and property tax exemptions.
- Advised clients in connection with proper structuring of mergers and acquisitions agreements to minimize federal, state and local taxes.
- Represented home healthcare agencies and facilities in connection with acquisitions by private equity firms and large healthcare systems.
- Served as primary corporate and tax counsel in $75 million neurodiagnostic health system sale to private equity firm.
- Represented group of in-vitro fertilization (IVF) physicians in connection with extensive reorganization and $15 million sale of partial ownership interests to private equity fund.
- Represented large group of anesthesiologists in connection with $90 million sale to publicly traded healthcare system.
- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law
- Master of Law, Georgetown University Law Center
- M.P.A., University of Texas at Austin
- B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin
Admissions : Texas, U.S. Tax Court
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- American Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Asian American Bar Association, Leadership Council
- CCH Healthcare Compliance Newsletter, Advisory Board, 2007-2012
- State Bar of Texas, Asian Pacific Interest Section, treasurer, 2005-2012; Tax Section, Exempt Organizations Committee, co-chair, 2007-2011
Rate : $$$