Alec Wightman has a strong background of management experience that he brings to his role as counselor for major corporations. He served as an executive partner of BakerHostetler from January 2004 to June 2008, spent more than 10 years as the firm’s Legal Services partner and served for more than 20 years on the firm’s Policy Committee, experiences that deepen his understanding of the challenges faced by his corporate clients.
For many years, Alec’s principal practice focus was in the bankruptcy and reorganization area. Recently, he has developed a niche practice of assisting public company boards with their self-evaluation processes.
Alec has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of corporate law and bankruptcy and creditor rights/insolvency and reorganization law since 1995, and was named a Columbus “Lawyer of the Year” in 2012.
- Served for more than 20 years as a lawyer-in-charge of BakerHostetler’s relationship with a Fortune 20 healthcare services company, consulting with senior management and supervising legal services performed throughout the firm for the client.
- Has facilitated the board self-evaluation processes for four Fortune 200 public companies, interviewing each director and reporting results on a confidential basis to the board.
- American Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Rock and Roll Inc. (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum)
- Executive Committee
- Board of Trustees
- Immediate Past Chair
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation: Board of Trustees
- National Council of The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law Alumni Society: Immediate Past Chair
- J.D., The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, 1975, cum laude
- B.A., Duke University, 1972, cum laude
Admissions : U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1983, Ohio, 1975
Rate : $$$$