Alexander Anderson focuses his practice on US federal and state income tax law, with an emphasis on bankruptcy and financial restructuring transactions, mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions, investment funds, cross-border tax planning, securities offerings, investment fund structuring, aviation and equipment finance, and inbound and outbound investment structures.
Alex is recognized by Chambers USA and The Legal 500 United States as a leading tax lawyer. In addition to his commercial work, Alex has dedicated significant time to pro bono matters and has been recognized by the New York State Bar Association as an “Empire State Counsel” for his commitment to pro bono on behalf of low-income and vulnerable clients.
He also is a regular participant in the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts program and has counseled numerous artists, playwrights, filmmakers, and musicians on a pro bono basis in support of their for-profit and not-for-profit entity formations, conflict-of-interest policies, and applications for tax-exempt status.
- CST Industries, the world’s largest and leading tank and dome manufacturer, and two affiliated debtors, as lead debtors’ counsel in connection with their Chapter 11 proceedings
- DNB Bank ASA as a prepetition lender and debtor-in-possession lender in connection with the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of GulfMark Offshore Inc.
- Republic Airways Holdings Inc. in its Chapter 11 proceedings and successful plan of reorganization
- Delta Petroleum Corporation in its Chapter 11 filing and plan of reorganization that involved the formation of a joint venture company with Laramie II LLC
- Credit Suisse AG in Zurich on its participation in a $1.4 billion syndicated loan as well as a $75 million bilateral facility against Excel Maritime and 40 of its affiliates amid the Greek shipping company’s descent into bankruptcy
- Strategic Value Partners as co-lead investor with Angelo, Gordon & Company in the restructuring of NextMedia Group Inc.
- Avenue Capital as lead investor in the restructuring of MagnaChip Semiconductor Corporation
- The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Mirant Energy, LLC in its Chapter 11 restructuring
- The bondholders committee in connection with the restructuring of Spanish telecom Jazztel plc
- Credit Suisse First Boston Corporation, the largest holder of bonds issued by Panda, an electric power generator, in the restructuring of Panda and its corporate parent
- Numerous investment banks, private equity funds, hedge funds, creditors’ committees and debtors in connection with financial restructuring transactions, including the provision of debtor-in-possession financing and equity backstop commitments
- Mergers & Acquisitions:
- LaLiga, the Spanish soccer league, in its joint venture with Relevent Sports to commercialize its media, sponsorship, and licensing rights in North America
- ITT Corporation in its acquisition of Hartzell Aerospace, a California-based parts designer and manufacturer
- Brambles Ltd. in a $115 million sale of its Transport Management System (TMS), LeanLogistics, to UK-based Kewill Inc., a global provider of supply-chain software New York City
- Epic Pharma in its $550 million sale to China’s Humanwell Healthcare Group and New Jersey’s PuraCap Pharmaceutical
- Clinquest Group B.V. in the sale of its US and Dutch subsidiaries to Accelovance Inc., a Rockville, Maryland-based global Contract Research Organization (CRO) focusing on oncology vaccines and general medicine clinical research
- Chiltern, a leading global contract research organization headquartered in the UK, in the acquisition of Pennsylvania- based Theorem Clinical Research
- ITT Corporation in its acquisition of Wolverine Automotive Holdings Inc., the parent company of Wolverine Advanced Materials LLC
- Heartland Food Group (Heartland) in its acquisition of the iconic artificial sweetener brand Splenda from Johnson & Johnson subsidiary McNeil Nutritionals with Centerbridge Partners who became a shareholder in Heartland as part of the transaction
- Chindex International Inc. in its sale to a buyer consortium consisting of an affiliate of US private equity firm TPG, an affiliate of Shanghai Fosun Pharmaceutical Group and the Chindex CEO
- Cipla in its acquisition of two US generic drug companies, InvaGen Pharmaceuticals Inc and Exelan Pharmaceuticals Inc., for $550 million in cash
- Greenbriar Equity Group in its acquisition of a majority stake in SEKO Logistics, a leading provider of supply chain services
- Kenner & Company Inc. in the $1.1 billion acquisition of Dynacast, a maker of precision die-cast components and a division of Melrose PLC
- Merck & Company Inc. in a $9.5 billion acquisition of Cubist Pharmaceuticals Inc., an antibiotic manufacturer, and in a $3.85 billion deal to buy Idenix Pharmaceuticals Inc., a biotechnology company developing drugs to cure hepatitis C
- New York
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1999
- Boston College, B.A., 1996
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section
Rate : $$$$