Alexander M. Bullock is an experienced trial and appellate attorney who represents clients on a variety of matters including cases addressing environmental and agricultural issues. These matters include claims for environmental nuisance and trespass, cases under the Clean Water Act, solid and hazardous waste contamination, environmental personal injury actions, environmental property damage claims, professional liability (defense) actions, insurance recovery litigation and product liability claims. Mr. Bullock also counsels a variety of clients regarding environmental compliance, food safety, California Proposition 65 (Prop 65), and insurance coverage issues.
Mr. Bullock received one of the first joint LL.M. degrees from environmental and international law programs of The George Washington University Law School. His thesis focused on the emerging concept of sustainable development in international law and the need for governments, private enterprise, and public interest groups to work in a cooperative manner to create sustainable economic growth.
Mr. Bullock was recognized in 2018 and the five years immediately preceding as a Washington, D.C. “Super Lawyer” in the area of Environmental Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine. He is AV®rated by Martindale-Hubbell.*
*CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedure’s standards and policies.
- Represented commercial seed farmers and their agricultural trade association who were sued in Idaho state court in a nuisance and trespass class action for injuries allegedly related to large scale agricultural burning. Successfully obtained a writ of mandamus reversing trial court preliminary injunction from Idaho Supreme Court.
- Represented a global provider of information technology services and programs in multiple environmental insurance coverage cases addressing soil and groundwater contamination from legacy manufacturing facilities.
- Represent a major forest products company in asbestos multiple wrongful death lawsuits.
- Successfully defended the water and wastewater utility division of a major national real estate development company in Clean Water Act enforcement action brought by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented a commercial seed producer in a claim against other seed producers regarding genetic contamination of seed stock resulting in a successful negotiated settlement.
Represented a Fortune 500 corporation in defense of multiple wrongful death asbestos cases consolidated for trial.
- Represent a number of entities related to a large livestock producer in Tennessee and Kentucky all of whom were defendants in a multi-count class action nuisance, trespass, battery, and negligence lawsuit pending in federal court in the Western District of Kentucky. The trial court dismissed all counts at the summary judgment stage, and the remaining private nuisance claims are proceeding to trial. The same client has also retained the firm to represent it in a related case involving insurance coverage for environmental claims. That case is pending in the U. S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky.
- Represented a major livestock producer located in Illinois in a public and private nuisance lawsuit filed in Illinois state court. The plaintiffs alleged that the client’s largest livestock facility was both a public and private nuisance. The trial court dismissed the plaintiffs’ public nuisance claims at the summary judgment stage of the proceedings. Following a three-week trial, the jury returned a defense verdict on all of the private nuisance claims. The Illinois Fifth District Appellate Court affirmed both the summary judgment regarding public nuisance and the jury’s verdict regarding private nuisance.
- Represented a major livestock producer located in Illinois in an insurance coverage declaratory judgment action filed by the client’s insurance carrier. Following an extended discovery and extensive briefing, the trial court ruled that the insurance carrier owed a duty to defend under several insurance policies and ordered the company to pay our client for the fees and costs associated with defending the nuisance lawsuit.
- Provided regulatory guidance and counseling to a large grain producer regarding the presence of a naturally occurring contaminant in grain and grain products, including issues related to California Proposition 65.
- Provided advice to clients regarding hazardous allergen warning labels and recalls based upon the presence of undeclared allergens in food products.
- Represented Rose Acre Farms, Inc. in challenging several proposed water quality requirements contained in a draft operating permit to be issued by the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources. After negotiations with the state agency, the client received the necessary operating permit containing suitable conditions.
- University of South Carolina, J.D. (1985)
- George Washington University, LL.M. (1997)
- Furman University, B.A., Political Science (1982)
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Rate : $$$