Alexander Chester focuses his practice on the sports industry, where he represents and counsels clients including professional and collegiate sports teams and leagues, owners and acquirers of professional sports teams, and universities and state and local governments in connection with stadium development projects, construction agreements, lease agreements, the acquisition of professional sports franchises, and strategic counsel.
Mr. Chester’s representative work in the sports industry includes representing developers, governments, major NCAA Division I universities and MLB and MLS teams in the development and construction of stadiums and media rights transactions, and purchasers and sellers of minority interests in MLB franchises.
Prior to joining O’Melveny, Mr. Chester was a sports, real estate, and mergers and acquisitions associate at top Am Law 100 firms in New York City. Mr. Chester’s real estate experience includes representing developers, major corporations, real estate funds, investment banks, institutional lenders, property owners, tenants and joint venture partners in the acquisition, financing, management, leasing, subleasing and operation of office buildings, retail centers, hotels and commercial projects.
Mr. Chester’s representative real estate work includes multibillion dollar acquisitions in the healthcare industry and acquisitions and financings of major commercial office buildings, hotels and senior housing portfolios in New York City and across the United States. Mr. Chester’s real estate pro bono work includes negotiating lease documents for charter schools and other non-profit organizations and representing indigent clients in public housing matters.
- David Tepper, founder and president of global hedge fund Appaloosa Management, in his $2.275 billion acquisition of the Carolina Panthers, the largest transaction for an NFL team to date
- LaLiga, the Spanish soccer league, in its joint venture with Relevent Sports to commercialize its media, sponsorship, and licensing rights in North America
- The West Villages Improvement District in connection with the construction of a new spring training facility for the Atlanta Braves, in Sarasota County, Florida
- Syracuse University in a variety of matters related to stadium finance, project management and naming rights
- Albert Friedberg, founder and president of the Canadian investment firm Friedberg Mercantile Group Ltd., in connection with the acquisition of a minority interest in the MLS franchise Orlando City SC.
- The State of Hawaii in connection with the development of a new stadium and ancillary development
- Hillsborough County in connection with the development of a new community ballpark for the Tampa Bay Rays, as well as ancillary development and infrastructure.
- Advised The Washington Justice (formerly Washington Esports Ventures) in connection with entry into Blizzard Entertainment’s Overwatch League
- The University of Oregon in connection with a media rights deal with IMG College.
- IMG regarding an agreement with the Miami Dolphins to relocate the Miami Tennis Open to Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.
- WaitTime in connection with an agreement with the Palace of Auburn Hills for crowd intelligence.
- Lighthouse Guild International in connection with sales and leases of New York City properties.
- The owners of Town Square Las Vegas in connection with a refinancing.
- HCP in a variety of senior housing acquisitions and financings.
- Fortress Investment Group in connection with its acquisition of RailAmerica.
- LaVie Care Centers in connection with its acquisition of Genoa Healthcare Group and Centennial.
- Andre Balazs Properties in connection with the acquisition of the Cooper Square Hotel.
- General Atlantic in connection with the acquisitions/investments in CareCore, CLEAResult and tradeMONSTER.
- New York
- Harvard University, J.D., supervising editor, executive board member, and symposium director, Harvard Journal on Legislation
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., summa cum laude; Dean’s List; Pi Sigma Alpha
- President Stephen Adler, Chief Justice of Israel’s National Labor Court (2010)
- Sports Lawyers Association
- UJA-Federation of New York, Member of Shared Society Committee and Young Lawyers Leadership Committee
- New York City Bar Association
Rate : $$$$