Alexander K. Obrecht concentrates his practice on energy regulation and litigation, focusing on oil and gas development on federal lands, hazardous materials transportation and compliance, and oil and gas royalties.
Having grown up and attended law school in Wyoming, one of the leading energy-producing states in the country, Alex adds a practical understanding to the complex legal environment in which his clients operate.
Prior to law school, Alex worked with Credit Suisse, a Switzerland-based investment bank. During his tenure, he was involved in securities trading that occurred after the Macondo well blowout, which gave Alex insight into the corporate and financial aspects of issues affecting his energy clients.
- Counsel to a national oil and gas trade association in a challenge to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management’s compliance with its oil and gas lease sale obligation under the Mineral Leasing Act; defeated a motion to intervene by special interest groups.
- Counsel to a midstream client developing a compliance plan with hazardous materials regulations for crude oil transportation.
- Counsel to an oil and gas wastewater treatment company.
- Counsel to an independent oil and gas company in an ongoing federal royalty dispute in the Department of Interior’s administrative appeals process and federal court litigation.
- Member of a defense team for an independent oil and gas company in ongoing Department of Justice civil investigation pursuant to the False Claims Act for allegedly underpaid royalties on natural gas.
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- North Dakota Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Denver Petroleum Club
- Friends of Harvard: Donor and Class Agent
- Salt Creek Energy Excellence Scholarship: Co-Founder
- University of Wyoming Alumni Association: Board of Directors
- Denver East High School, A+ Angels: Mentor
- J.D., University of Wyoming College of Law, 2013, with honors, Dean’s List; Editor-in-Chief, Wyoming Law Review; Honorable Clarence A. Brimmer Scholarship Recipient (2012 to 2013), Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Scholarship Recipient (2012 to 2013)
- B.A., Economics, Harvard University, 2008; with honors; Varsity Football (2004 to 2007), Ivy League Champions (2004 and 2007); Varsity Track & Field (2004 to 2008), Captain (2007 to 2008)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
Rate : $$$