Alexandra Bach Lagos’s practice focuses on defending consumer product makers in personal injury and wrongful death actions. For the past ten years, Alex has concentrated her practice on representing cigarette manufacturers in thousands of smoking and health cases pending in Florida’s state and federal courts.
She has been involved in all phases of that litigation including case strategy, written discovery, depositions, expert witness preparation, motion practice, trials and appeals.
During her career, Alex has provided legal issues and trial support in dozens of federal and state jury trials, many of which involved claims for punitive damages.
Alex routinely argues significant motions in courts across the state and has also briefed and argued cases in Florida’s appellate courts.
In addition to her litigation practice, Alex is active in several bar associations and has held leadership positions in the Florida Bar and the Florida Association for Women Lawyers.
Within the Florida Bar, Alex was appointed to, and currently serves on, the Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee. She is also a graduate of the inaugural class of the Florida Bar Leadership Academy.
Alex is a past president of the Miami-Dade Chapter of the Florida Association for Women Lawyers, the largest bar association for women lawyers in South Florida. Alex uses her platform as a former bar association president and first-generation American to advocate for greater diversity in the legal profession. She regularly lectures—in both English and Spanish—about the value of diversity in the law.
Alex is a recipient of several awards recognizing her advocacy for women, including the Alumni Leadership Award from the University of Miami and the Celebrating Women in Law Award from Florida International University.
A native Miamian, Alex is deeply committed to the city and gives back to the community by donating her legal services pro bono as a Guardian Ad Litem for children in Miami’s family courts through the “Put Something Back” pro bono project in the 11th Judicial Circuit.
Alex joined Shook in 2006 after graduating from UM Law. As a law student, she completed a summer clerkship with Justice R. Fred Lewis at the Florida Supreme Court and a two year-internship with Federal Magistrate Theodore Klein in the Southern District of Florida.
- J.D., University of Miami, 2006
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- Dean’s Certificate of Achievement, Professional Responsibility
- Honors, Litigation Skills
- International Moot Court
- President’s Circle
- School of Law Dean’s Circle
- B.A., Smith College, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Judicial Outreach Committee
- Dade County Defense Bar Association
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade Chapter, Former President
- National Association of Women Judges 34th Annual Conference, Friends Committee
- Spellman-Hoeveler American Inn of Court
- The Florida Bar Leadership Academy, Fellow
- The Florida Bar, Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee
- Florida Guardian Ad Litem Program
- Junior League of Miami, Women Who Make a Difference Committee
- Legal Aid Small Claims Clinic
- Smith College Club of Miami, President
Rate : $$$$