Alexandra L. Bear is an associate in the Entertainment and Digital Media Practice Group in the firm’s New York office and lead associate of the firm’s Blockchain Technology and Digital Currency Team.
Ms. Bear provides legal and strategic counsel for startup, midcap and multinational corporations, as well as trade associations, auction houses, art consignors and membership organizations in connection with a broad range of legal and business issues related to music, intellectual property, entertainment, blockchain, privacy, information security, licensing and technology. Having worked in-house, she approaches legal, risk and business issues practically.
She has extensive experience advising media, internet and technology companies on business and legal strategies related to licensing and rights management, technology and content transactions, distributed ledger technologies, virtual goods and virtual currency, rights management, integrating and using open source technology, developing intellectual property protection and monetization strategies, handling terms of service and end user license agreements, privacy and information security policies, risk management and more.
Ms. Bear’s practice encompasses a full range of transactional intellectual property, entertainment and technology issues, including:
- counseling clients on a variety of issues that arise in connection with technology, entertainment and intellectual property transactions; drafting and advising rights owners on licensing, exploiting and protecting content and intellectual property;
- developing and implementing intellectual property strategies to protect and to monetize intellectual property assets; negotiating and drafting technology agreements, including licensing, SaaS, consultant, service and hosting agreements;
- conducting intellectual property due diligence and negotiating related matters in connection with transactions, acquisitions and financings;
- advising and drafting agreements in connection with developing and protecting distributed ledger technology and virtual goods and currency;
- creating and drafting policies and agreements that address employment and consultant issues in the intellectual property context;
- advising clients on legal issues associated with open source software including licensing, open source compatibility issues, indemnity issues and developing and implementing corporate policies on use of open source software;
- advising clients on the legality of cutting edge Internet business methods and technology;
- and advising clients on privacy, compliance and information security issues, including the GDPR.
- J.D., Tulane University Law School, 2014
- B.A., New York University, 2010
Admissions : New York
- Representation of The Madison Square Garden Company in connection with its $181 million acquisition of a majority stake in nightclub operator Tao Group
- Digital video and music content licensing, distribution and rights acquisition
- Trademark, patent and copyright licensing for apparel and food and beverage companies
- Representation of Cablevision Systems Corp. in its sale of Clearview Cinemas to Bow Tie Cinemas
- Representation of major performance rights organization in connection with licensing and strategic deals
- Member, Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Art Law Committee, New York County Bar Association
- Member, Entertainment, Intellectual Property and Sports Section, New York County Lawyers’ Association
- Six-month secondment at Christie’s Inc.
Rate : $$$$