Alexandra Megaris’s practice focuses on regulatory investigations and government enforcement matters involving state attorneys general, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), state regulatory agencies, and the U.S. Congress.
She also works closely with Venable’s federal and state government affairs teams in advocating for clients before these agencies. Alex’s experience includes virtually all aspects of consumer protection laws, including state and federal unfair, deceptive and abusive practices (UDAAP) laws, such as the FTC Act and the Consumer Financial Protection Act, the FTC’s Telemarketing Sales Rule, and federal and state product-specific regulations.
In addition to representing consumer product and financial services companies before government agencies, Alex advises on regulatory and compliance issues, and works with banks and nonbanks alike to conduct internal risk and compliance assessments and prepare for supervision examinations by the CFPB and other regulators.
- Led defense of leading specialty finance company in significant CFPB investigation and settlement involving allegations of unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices and violations of other consumer financial laws, including the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and Electronic Fund Transfers Act.
- Member of team advising Independent Monitor to Deutsche Bank AG as part of the bank’s $7.2B settlement with DOJ over the sale of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Defended online marketer of nutraceutical products in FTC investigation of advertising and marketing practices under FTC Act and ROSCA; favorably settled.
- Represented direct-response marketer in investigation by FTC and New York Attorney General regarding marketing practices; favorably settled.
- Representation of major U.S. retailer before the New York State Attorney General involving violation of product-specific law and UDAP; favorably settled.
- Defense of a leading specialty finance company in a multistate attorneys general investigation, spanning five years, regarding alleged unfair and deceptive acts or practices and violations of state debt collection law.
- Represented major 501(c)(4) advocacy organization before House Energy and Commercial Committee in connection with committee’s inquiries relating to the Affordable Care Act, including preparation of organization’s representatives to testify.
- Represented clean energy advocacy organization before the Select Committee on Energy Independency and Global Warming in connection with committee’s inquiry, including preparation of organization’s president to testify.
- J.D. Fordham University School of Law 2008
- B.A. University of Pennsylvania 2005
Bar Admissions : New York, District of Columbia, New Jersey
Court Admissions : U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$