Alexandre R. Chequer is a partner of Mayer Brown and of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown. He is head of the Oil & Gas group at Mayer Brown. He focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, projects and infrastructure development.
Alex has represented numerous oil and gas/energy companies on transactions involving the purchase and sale oil and gas properties offshore Brazil, Africa and other basins around the world.
Alex’s oil and gas/energy development projects include LNG, pipelines, refinery, petrochemical, gas power plants, FPSOs, FSRUs and platform-based offshore developments, and integrated field development, (pipeline and processing projects); and mergers and acquisition (including auction and negotiated sales and property exchanges).
Alex has experience with the structuring, documentation, and negotiation of oil and gas/energy transactions that range from host government arrangements, farmin/farmout, equity acquisitions to shareholder agreements, operating agreements, unitizations and international energy arbitrations on oil and gas/energy assets.
Alexandre has experience with the structuring, documentation, and negotiation of oil and gas transactions that range from host government arrangements, farm-ins, and acquisitions to shareholder agreements, operating agreements, and unitizations to EPC, production handling, transportation, and sales contracts.
Reflecting his pre-eminence in project development and business transactions, he has been selected for “Leaders in their Field” recognition in the areas of corporate/M&A, energy and natural resources and oil and gas law by Chambers Latin America (2007 through 2015).
He also has received “Leaders in their Field” designations (general business law and overseas specialists) from Chambers Global (2007 through 2015). In addition, Alexandre has been listed in The International Who’s Who of Oil and gas Lawyers (2007 through 2015) and Legal 500 in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- Harvard University, MA in Corporate and Business Law
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
Admissions : Brazil
- Member, Board of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), 2002-2006
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, Instituto Brasileiro de Petróleo e Gás (IBP)
- Lecturer, “Energy Regulation,” post-graduate course in business law, Brazilian Institute of Capital Markets, since 2002
- Represented a major provider of international and domestic offshore contract drilling services in the organization of its operations and negotiation of drilling contracts in Angola, Mexico and Egypt.
- Represented a leading oil service field company in the negotiation and organization of 2 joint ventures in Angola for the construction of manufacturing facilities with investments of more than US$100 million.
- Represented a super major Brazilian oil company in the negotiation of joint ventures and in the analysis of two “Contratos de Serviços Múltiplos” for the exploration and production of natural gas in Fronterizo and Cuervito blocks Mexico, for the total amount of US$525 million.
- Represented a project developer of the first ethanol pipeline project in Brazil, valued at US$1.1 billion.
- Represented a leading oil field service company in the construction and operation of two floating production, storage and offloading installations (FPSOs) valued at US$2.2 billion.
- Represented an Angolan national oil company in the negotiation of contracts for exploration and production of petroleum in the Quaiyarah and Najmah contract areas in Iraq.
- Represented a global steel company based in the United Kingdom and owned by a Russian billionaire in a US$800 million deal for the formation of a joint venture with a Brazilian steel mill.
- Represented a major Danish oil and gas company in the acquisition of exploration and production rights of Block BM-C 34, in the pre-salt layer in Brazil, valued at US$300million.
- Represented a leading provider of flow equipment products, systems and services to worldwide oil, gas and process industries in the due diligence and negotiation involving the acquisition of a Brazilian manufacturer of onshore/offshore valves and wellhead equipment in Brazil.
- Represented the Colombian NOC in the acquisition of 10% participating interest in two Blocks (PSAs), in the Kwanza Basin, Angola.
- Represented a major company in the unitization of Block BM-CAL-04 with the concessionaire of Block BCAM-40, located in Camamu-Almada Basin, Brazil.
- Currently representing an independent European company in the negotiations of the pre-unitization agreement, the unitization agreement and the unit operating agreement for a field in Campos Basin, currently under development offshore Brazil.
- Represented China National Offshore Oil Corporation – CNOOC in the qualification for the 1st Pre-salt Bid Round in Brazil and all actions related to the payment of the signature bonus and signing of the 1st Production Sharing Agreement in Brazil – named 2013’ Regulatory Deal of the Year by Latin Lawyer magazine.
- Represented a Brazilian independent oil and gas E&P company in connection with regulatory issues related to the acquisition of another Brazilian independent oil and gas E&P, case in which for the first time the ANP accepted the return of Performance Guarantees from qualified Operators.
- Represented the Ministry of Petroleum of Angola on OPEC matters and on drafting a variety of legislation, including Angola’s Gas Law, Biofuels Law and Downstream Law.
Rate : $$$$