Alisa Chestler, shareholder in the Nashville and Washington, D.C. offices of Baker Donelson, is chair of the Firm’s Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity Team and a Certified Information Privacy Professional.
Ms. Chestler concentrates her practice in privacy, security and records management issues; health care and insurance regulatory compliance; and corporate transactions matters. She joined Baker Donelson after a distinguished career as in-house counsel and privacy officer to several large public and private companies.
Ms. Chestler routinely counsels clients on data privacy and security matters that arise from federal and state laws, including HIPAA, HITECH, GLB, FCRA/FACTA, state data breach laws and the Payment Card Industry (PCI-DSS) requirements.
Ms. Chestler also counsels clients on global data protection laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). She has significant experience assisting companies in developing comprehensive privacy and security programs and working with Management to identify risk management issues, many times in anticipation of corporate transactions.
She assists clients in identifying, evaluating and managing risks associated with privacy and information security practices of companies and third party service providers. She routinely drafts and negotiates information security addendum and business associate agreements, develops compliance policies and procedures, and advises clients on data breaches and notification obligations.
Ms. Chestler assists clients with negotiating complex information technology and partnership agreements, including health information exchange (HIE) participation, EHR negotiation, blockchain, adoption and compliance with HITECH and meaningful use requirements, and audits. She has also assisted clients in analyzing and negotiating cloud computing issues and agreements.
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Ithaca College, B.A., 1991
- Connecticut, 1994
- District of Columbia, 1996
- Tennessee, 2017
- Assisted large hospital system in identifying cybersecurity issues and negotiation of asset purchase agreement and closing conditions.
- Counseled emerging company on privacy and security issues prior to initial capital raise.
- Represented a regional Texas medical center, negotiating a $54 million electronic medical record software license and implementation services agreement with Epic Systems.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Member – International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Chair – Compliance Committee, The Care Continuum Alliance (2009 – 2013)
- Member – Health Care Compliance Association
- Member – American Health Information Management Association
Rate : $$$$