Alison Stafford Powell has considerable experience counseling US and non-US companies on cross-border outbound trade compliance in the areas of export controls, trade and financial sanctions, anti-terrorism controls, anti-corruption and anti-money laundering rules, US anti-boycott laws, and US foreign investment restrictions under the Exon-Florio Provision.
With a background also in EU and UK trade restrictions, she routinely advises non-US companies on reconciling US and EU trade regulations and on the extra-territorial impact of US trade restrictions. She is a dual US/English qualified lawyer and has worked in the Firm’s London, Washington, DC and Palo Alto offices since 1996.
Ms Stafford Powell advises on all aspects of outbound trade compliance, including compliance planning, risk assessments, licensing, regulatory interpretations, voluntary disclosures, enforcement actions, internal investigations and audits, mergers and acquisitions and other cross-border activities.
She develops compliance training, codes of conduct, compliance procedures and policies. She has particular experience in the financial services, technology/IT services, travel/hospitality, telecommunications, and manufacturing sectors.
- College of Law at London (1996)
- Hosei University, Tokyo (1994)
- Cambridge University (M.A. Hons) (1994)
- Cambridge University (B.A. Hons, First Class, Oriental Studies) (1992)
- District of Columbia~United States (2013)
- California~United States (2002)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1998)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association – International Law Section
- State Bar of California – International Law Section
- Women in International Trade – Member, Northern California
- District of Columbia Bar – Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Counseled financial technology and travel technology companies on compliance strategies for capitalizing on new opportunities under relaxed Cuba sanctions program.
- Conducted multi-jurisdictional risk assessment and compliance due diligence and advised on exit strategies for consumer goods manufacturer in context of increasing international sanctions against North Korea.
- Counseled international hospitality company on compliance risk assessments and compliance planning in preparation for corporate restructuring and IPO.
- Advised on multiple encryption technical reviews under the US Export Administration Regulations for various software and IT companies.
Rate : $$$