Amanda L. Genovese represents clients in a wide variety of commercial matters, through all stages of litigation, and has experience managing all aspects of complex cases. She successfully represents Fortune 50 companies in disputes in state, federal and appellate courts.
Amanda is a litigation associate in the New York office. She serves as lead counsel on behalf of major financial institutions and national insurance companies, as well as other types of large consumer-facing companies, in cases involving the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, and various federal and state consumer laws.
Amanda also has experience litigating cases encompassing the spectrum of business relationships and disputes, including breach of contract, fraud, professional liability, bankruptcy matters, antitrust claims, and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.
Amanda’s pragmatic approach allows her to effectively communicate with clients and prepare for all aspects of litigation, including motion practice, discovery, mediation and trial. Because of her extensive litigation experience, including many cases in both federal and state courts, Amanda is often asked to serve as counsel for cases pending in New York and New Jersey.
Prior to joining Troutman, Amanda was a fellow at the Office of the Attorney General for the State of New Jersey, where she worked on projects involving eminent domain, billing disputes for local public utility companies and due process rights of energy generators. In addition, Amanda has volunteered for the Brooklyn Bar Volunteer Lawyers Project, lobbied for reform of the Fair Labor Standards Act and helped introduce legislation through a public interest organization.
Representative Matters :
- Served as counsel for major national insurance companies in defense of ERISA litigation involving claims under Section 502(a)(1)(B), the federal Mental Health Parity and Addictions Equity Act (MHPAEA), New York and New Jersey prompt pay laws, and Timothy’s Law.
- Represented major national insurance companies in appeals before the Second Circuit and Third Circuit involving unique ERISA claims and issues.
- Defended major national insurance companies against breach of contract, unjust enrichment, RICO and fraud claims.
- Served as counsel for various businesses and business executives regarding contract disputes and tort liability, including for an international jewelry manufacturer and distributor in a false advertising dispute.
- Served as counsel in class action for nationwide tenant screening company, nationwide debt collector, and consumer reporting agency.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Captain and Scholarship Athlete, Women’s NCAA Division 1 Softball, Manhattan College (MAAC Division) (2005 – 2009)
- Committee Member, LGBT Rights Committee, New York City Bar Association (three-year term, class of 2019)
- Committee Member, Recruiting Committee, Troutman Sanders LLP
- New York Law School, J.D., 2012, Member, Media Law and Policy Center; Telecommunications Fellowship
- Manhattan College, B.A., Phi Sigma Tau Honor Society; Theta Alpha Kappa Honor Society, 2009
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York, New Jersey
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Rate : $$$