Ambika Kumar Doran practices Internet, media, and intellectual property law. Experienced in the application of free speech principles to digital content, Ambika has skillfully represented clients in cutting-edge cases involving online content liability and electronic privacy.
Her work focuses on Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, widely regarded as the most important law governing online content, and other federal protections for user-generated content.
Ambika also regularly advises on and litigates First Amendment, defamation, copyright, and trademark, as well as public records, reporters’ privilege, and courtroom access. Her clients range from traditional news media to pioneers of the sharing economy.
A member of the ABA Forum on Communications Governing Committee and co-chair of the firm’s Media Law Practice, Ambika regularly speaks and writes about digital content and privacy issues. In 2016, the National Diversity Council named Ambika one of Washington state’s “Most Powerful and Influential Women.”
- Summer Associate, Baker & Hostetler LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Summer Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine, Seattle
- Public Interest Law Initiative Intern, American Civil Liberties Union, Chicago
- Legal Intern, Legal Aid of North Carolina, Durham
- Legal Intern, Business and Professional People for the Public Interest, Chicago
Professional & Community Activities:
- Member, Governing Committee, American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law, 2015-present
- Development Committee Member, Duke Student Publishing Company
- Member, Training & Development Committee, American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law, 2010-2015
- King County Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association of Washington
- Board Member, Duke Student Publishing Company, 2002-2009
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2006, with honors
- Chicago Journal of International Law
- A.B., Economics, French, Duke University, 2002
- Editor-in-Chief and President, The Chronicle, the daily independent student-run newspaper of the Duke community
Rate : $$$$