Amelia Williams Koch, shareholder in the New Orleans office, has substantial experience in all aspects of employment litigation and counseling. Ms. Koch has handled matters concerning the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, covenants not to compete, personnel policies and manuals, state discrimination and wage statutes, and employment and severance agreements.
She has defended FLSA collective actions and related class actions concerning state law wage claims and has also represented clients in wage matters before the United States Department of Labor.
Ms. Koch has done antitrust audits and compliance programs; analyzed antitrust issues attendant to business organization formation; and handled antitrust litigation and counseling. Ms. Koch has also represented accounting firms in malpractice actions and disciplinary proceedings.
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1983
- University of Georgia, B.A., 1980
ADMISSIONS : Louisiana, 1983
Representative Matters :
- Successfully defended an international disaster recovery and remediation company in an $85 million suit in the Middle District of Florida against civil claims asserted under the RICO Act, as well as for fraud, civil conspiracy, tortious interference and related business torts involving alleged conspiratorial misconduct with the plaintiffs’ insurers and adjusters, third-party construction managers and others related to property damage claims for nine beach front hotels stemming from hurricanes Charlie, Francis and Jeanne.
- Served as lead counsel on dozens of internal investigations regarding sensitive EEO and other violations of company policy in a heavily regulated environment.
- Served as lead counsel on dozens of Title VII, ADA, FMLA, and other EEO cases for clients, including health care providers, throughout Louisiana.
- Served as lead counsel for a Louisiana hospital system in breach of contract and related theories regarding traditional provider-payor disputes. Case resolved favorably after motion practice.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American Bar Association (Antitrust Section; Labor and Employment Law Section; Health Care Section)
- Member – New Orleans Bar Association (Past Board Member; Treasurer, 1994 – 1996)
- Member – Louisiana Hospital Association
- Fellow – Louisiana Bar Foundation
- Board Member – Tennessee Williams Literary Festival
- Board Member/Treasurer – Louisiana Supreme Court Historical Society (2009 – 2012)
- Past Board Member/President – Garden District Association
Rate : $$$