Amy E. Fouts focuses her practice on healthcare compliance and regulatory matters, primarily counseling public and private hospitals and healthcare systems, physician groups, hospice and home health agencies, and individual practitioners.
She assists healthcare providers with federal and state fraud and abuse issues, including government and commercial payor audits, government investigations, and compliance program development and review.
Amy works extensively with clients on Medicare and Medicaid coverage, reimbursement and coding issues. She has significant experience with overpayment by Medicare, Medicaid and commercial payors and with related recoupment appeals.
She routinely advises and defends clients under review by Medicare’s Recovery Audit Contractors and the Medicaid Integrity Contractor Program. Amy routinely counsels providers regarding privacy and data security, HIPAA compliance and breach response.
She has published a number of articles relating to billing, reimbursement, fraud and abuse. She has also presented at several educational programs and professional conferences on these topics, as well as on how these relate to Medicare and Medicaid.
- Represents hospital systems and physician practices on day-to-day compliance concerns and questions.
- Represents a variety of healthcare clients in the defense of civil False Claims Act actions and whistleblower lawsuits.
- Represents hospitals and physicians in medical staff and board inquiries.
- Successfully reduced a Medicare overpayment demand from $4.2 million to just over $8,000.
- Conducted compliance and HIPAA training for a large physician practice with over 15 locations.
- State Bar of Georgia, Health Law Section
- Executive Committee (2014)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Georgia Hospital Association
- Recovery Audit Contractor (RAC) Task Force Member
- J.D., University of Georgia School of Law, 2001, cum laude
- B.A., University of Georgia, 1997, magna cum laude
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Georgia
Rate : $$$$