Amy Laurendeau has extensive experience defending class and mass tort actions. She routinely defends pharmaceutical and medical device companies in coordinated proceedings and other high-stakes trials and appeals. She has defended class actions involving prescription and over-the-counter medicines, cosmetics, electronics, and insurance, to name a few.
In addition to her mass tort and class action work, Amy has represented clients across varied industries in complex business litigation matters, ranging from contract disputes, to trade secret violations, to insurance coverage and bad faith claims.
Amy also dedicates significant time to pro bono work, including political asylum and civil rights matters.
- Trial counsel for major pharmaceutical company in JCCP involving more than 10,000 personal injury claims. Obtained complete defense jury verdict in first (and only, to date) California bellwether trial.
- Defending Amylin Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of AstraZeneca, against claims brought by hundreds of plaintiffs in personal injury cases involving Byetta®, an injectable medication for type-2 diabetes, in a federal Multi-District Litigation (MDL), California Judicial Council Coordinated Proceeding (JCCP) and other courts around the country.
- Obtained summary judgment in several JCCP Byetta® bellwether cases—including the first case scheduled for trial—on the grounds that plaintiffs could not prove that a different warning would have changed their doctors’ prescribing decisions.
- Obtained judgment for Amylin in federal court complaint based on plaintiff’s failure to satisfy pleading requirements. Argued appeal in the Sixth Circuit, which affirmed dismissal.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in appeal from adverse judgment. Obtained US$50 million reduction in punitive damages award on appeal.
- Represented major manufacturer of sun care products in class action litigation in California, Florida and New Jersey alleging improper risk and efficacy disclosure and seeking economic damages. Obtained orders dismissing California state court class actions and significantly narrowing Florida federal court class actions on preemption grounds. Won summary judgment in one Florida class action and defeated class certification in another.
- Defended product liability litigation over alleged side-effects from over-the-counter pain relievers and prescription pain patches.
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in a successful three-week trial in federal court involving misappropriation of trade secrets by a competitor. Part of trial team that obtained a “head start” injunction barring the competitor from introducing its competing product for a year and requiring the return or destruction of trade secret materials.
- Represented Merck in nationwide product liability litigation over Vioxx®. Integrally involved in Merck v. Garza appeal, in which the Texas Supreme Court established a new standard for the sufficiency of epidemiological general causation evidence.
- Defended subsidiary of a major insurance company in a US$30 million bad faith jury trial, which settled three weeks into trial when plaintiffs accepted a standing settlement offer.
- Defeated class certification in personal injury and economic harm case involving prescription pain medication recalled due to an alleged manufacturing defect.
Advise clients in various industries regarding product recalls.
- Represent numerous clients in claims alleging violations of California Prop 65.
Defended copyright holder in an action involving a distributor’s claimed exclusive license; obtained a preliminary injunction preventing further distribution by the plaintiff of the copyrighted material.
- Defended breach of contract and fraud action—seeking monetary damages and challenging termination of a loan servicing agreement—brought against a mortgage banking company. Obtained arbitration ruling awarding nothing to the plaintiff.
- Argued motions and appeals and tried cases in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- University of Michigan, J.D., 1998: cum laude
- University of Toledo, B.A., English, 1995
Rate : $$$