For more than 40 years, Andrea Field has represented clients in federal rulemakings and litigation arising under the Clean Air Act, in Clean Air Act enforcement actions brought by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, and in a full range of Clean Air Act permitting matters.
Most notably, Andy has served as lead counsel for industry in a broad range of precedent-setting environmental law cases arising out of EPA’s initiatives to create federal permitting programs under the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act, establish interstate air pollution transport programs, and set national ambient air quality standards.
She has also successfully represented individual companies in high-profile federal and state enforcement proceedings. Andy is a thorough tactician, who develops creative, practical and durable solutions to solve her client’s problems.
Representative clients include electric generating companies, chemical companies, pulp and paper mills, coal facilities, refineries, cement-manufacturing facilities and flexible packaging companies.
Andy is the former managing partner of the firm’s Washington, DC office.
Andy’s work has garnered her significant professional recognition and numerous awards. She was the first woman elected to chair the American Bar Association’s Environment, Energy and Resources Section (1989-1990).
She was elected to be a member of the American College of Environmental Lawyers in 2010. She has been listed in Chambers USA since 2003; has made Washingtonian magazine’s list of Top Lawyers for her work in environmental law since 2004; and was named a Star of the Bar in 2005 by the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia.
Andy also frequently speaks on and has published numerous articles analyzing Clean Air Act regulatory and litigation issues.
- Represents coalitions of industry sources in major federal Clean Air Act rulemakings and in litigation concerning EPA’s regulatory programs and enforcement initiatives.
- Successfully defended and negotiated favorable settlements in federal Clean Air Act enforcement actions brought by EPA as part of that agency’s new source review (NSR) enforcement initiative.
- Served as lead counsel for industry in complex litigation in the United States Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit, challenging EPA’s regulations to control pollutant emissions from a broad range of large facilities in the eastern United States.
- Successfully resolved an enforcement action involving a major chemical manufacturing company charged with violating the Clean Air Act’s hazardous emissions standards and in which liability was substantially limited by developing—and prevailing on—a lack of fair notice defense.
- Provides advice to companies in the energy, chemical, pulp and paper, and refinery source sectors on a full range of Clean Air Act permitting and enforcement issues.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 1974
- BA, Yale University, magna cum laude, 1971
- District of Columbia
- Clerk, Public Defender of New London
- Member and Former Chair (1989-1990) Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, American Bar Association
- Member, American College of Environmental Lawyers
- Member, Air and Waste Management Association
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
Rate : $$$