Andrea J. Robinson has three decades of experience defending securities, insurance sales practice and other financial services and commercial litigation nationwide. She has also represented public companies, financial services companies, financial institutions and their officers and directors in connection with SEC, FINRA and other regulatory investigations, as well as civil enforcement actions.
Ms. Robinson has defended numerous individual, derivative and class actions, including cases involving challenges to disclosures and financial services, alleged accounting improprieties, insider trading, market manipulation and insurance and annuity sales practice misconduct.
Her enforcement practice has encompassed wide-ranging issues, including alleged insider trading, options backdating, accounting improprieties, revenue sharing, market timing, failures to supervise, challenges to disclosures, gifts and gratuities, sales practice and suitability issues.
In addition, she has conducted internal investigations, counseled corporate clients regarding litigation avoidance strategies and compliance programs, and advised boards of directors regarding their fiduciary and other obligations.
In 1994, Ms. Robinson served as a special assistant district attorney for Middlesex County, prosecuting criminal cases for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Ms. Robinson is a member of the American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association and the ALIC (Association of Life Insurance Counsel).
- Dismissal by the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts of Securities Act and Securities Exchange Act claims brought on behalf of a putative class against a provider of demand response solutions to grid operators and utilities
- Dismissal by the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut of securities class action against a multilevel marketing company and its senior executives alleging a fraudulent scheme and misrepresentations and omissions regarding company’s sales model, revenue growth, products, supply issues and business prospects
- Dismissals by the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida and by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York of complaints asserting common law violations by a custodian of accounts managed by third party investment manager
- Dismissal by the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts of a shareholder class action alleging securities fraud by a biotechnology company accused of issuing financial statements made misleading by channel stuffing
- Dismissal by the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey of a shareholder class action asserting insider trading claims against a mutual fund company alleged to have sold securities on the basis of material inside information received from an issuer
- Dismissal by the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts of derivative claims asserting that allegedly excessive executive compensation was misrepresented in proxy statements and violated state law
- Ruling by a Florida state court denying plaintiff’s motion to certify a class of policyholders alleging breach of contract and unjust enrichment by a life insurance company
- Secured defense verdict in class action trial challenging over 40,000 sales of insurance products.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 1984
- AB, Harvard University, 1981
- District of Columbia
- New York
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE : State and Local Government
Rate : $$$$