For more than 20 years, Andrew Shier has helped clients manage risk and evaluate, secure, and enforce their rights in commercial contracts and real estate and business disputes.
As chair of McShane & Bowie’s Litigation Group, much of Andy’s practice involves representing banks and commercial creditors in troubled loan relationships and navigating the complex issues that arise when businesses struggle and fail.
He has extensive experience with mitigating risk in and out of court by working through and resolving forbearance arrangements, enforcement actions, real estate foreclosures, asset surrenders, receiverships, and liquidation sales. Andy also works with creditors that are drawn into bankruptcy actions or subjected to receiverships, helping clients maximize their recovery in those situations.
Clients appreciate Andy’s willingness to truly understand them and their businesses. His scrutiny of their operations, finances, and technologies is a necessary part of his in-depth preparation, but also a means to narrow the scope of legal issues and to streamline dispute resolution.
He looks at clients’ problems from a pragmatic, bottom-line perspective, always asking whether a claim or defense should be pursued, not if it can be pursued. Andy also applies his litigation experience to help clients identify and avoid problems before they occur, particularly by drafting and reviewing their contracts.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 1998
- Eastern Michigan University, Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Political Science, summa cum laude, 1995
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association, West Michigan Chapter
Rate : $$$