Andrew L. Chang focuses on individual, mass tort and class actions involving automotive, pharmaceutical, medical device and other consumer products. With experience in all phases of civil litigation, Andrew has drafted and argued successful motions, briefs and appeals for matters before both state and federal courts and participated in numerous jury trials.
He has represented companies in business, environmental and employment litigation related to consumer fraud, contract disputes, trade secrets, California wage-and-hour, copyright infringement, architectural design and construction law, overtime and Employee Retirement Income Security Act benefits, and insurance coverage.
Some of Andrew’s recent experience includes:
- successfully compelling individual arbitration of putative class action, enforcing class action waiver;
- defeating a proposed nationwide class action involving claims that an automaker violated the Song-Beverly Act by deducting repair costs for abnormal wear on allegedly defective vehicles returned under buyback settlement agreements;
- representing two defendants in a state antitrust action against the pharmaceutical industry from successful summary judgment through appeal;
- drafting and successfully arguing several claim-dispositive motions in a breach of contract and trade secret action;
- briefed winning motion to deny class certification before discovery in a putative nationwide class action against one of the world’s largest retailers for alleged consumer fraud regarding products labeled “Made in USA”;
- conceiving, drafting and managing the preparation of dispositive motions in claims brought by thousands of individual employees in a Fair Labor Standards Act collective action, resulting in favorable settlement;
- analyzing and responding to claims seeking defense or indemnity under supplier/distributor, insurance and surety contracts;
- defending numerous manufacturers of a variety of products in product liability actions through trial and settlement.
As an active member of the Asian-American Bar Association and Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom, Andrew respects and seeks to ensure diversity in all walks of life.
His commitment to the elimination of discrimination is further reflected by his pro bono activities, which include the defense of the rights of disabled tenants to reasonable accommodations.
During law school, Andrew served as a judicial extern for Los Angeles Superior Court The Hon. Haley J. Fromholz (ret.).
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2002
- B.A., University of California, Davis, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- American Bar Association, TIPS Products Liability Committee, Vice-Chair
- Asian American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom
- State Bar of California
Rate : $$$