Andrew D. Copans focuses on tax and wealth planning for high-net-worth individuals, trusts, and estates. Andrew provides comprehensive advice on all aspects of estate and wealth planning, including international estate planning, business succession planning, family office structuring and administration, and post-death estate and trust administration.
He also has extensive experience representing clients in audit proceedings before the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Andrew is proficient at structuring sophisticated, tax-efficient wealth transfer strategies for his clients.
He counsels on estate, gift, and generation-skipping tax issues, and collaborates with families and family offices to implement and administer complex estate plans. He serves clients based in the United States and in other countries, and across various industries, such as real estate investors, company executives, privately held business owners, athletes, and entertainers.
Andrew has extensive experience in advising on and structuring shareholder agreements, succession planning, and transitioning companies to future generations. He understands that the planning that he does for his clients is not only intended to benefit and maximize both tax and non-tax efficiencies for the current generation, but also for future generations.
Andrew’s breadth of experience in dealing with high-net-worth clients across industries allows him to successfully identify and advise clients on all relevant issues regarding their estate planning.
He prides himself on being able to work closely with his clients in structuring their estates in a manner that not only accomplishes the personal goals of the clients, but does so in a tax-efficient manner.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a client before the IRS in a highly complex estate tax audit that lasted nearly two and a half years
- Represented numerous clients in setting up and structuring both formal and informal family offices for both succession planning and tax planning purposes
- Oversaw a multiple-year estate administration with complex U.S. and international tax issues for a client who owned assets in numerous foreign countries, including France and Ireland.
- LL.M. with distinction Loyola Law School 2007
- J.D. University of Southern California, Gould School of Law 2003
- B.A. Cornell University 2000
Bar Admissions : California
Rate : $$$