Andrew Garelick focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate restructurings. He also advises clients on corporate governance, securities law matters and stock exchange rules.
Mr. Garelick rejoined Skadden in February 2007 after spending several years in executive corporate development positions at new and early stage ventures and at a public company, where he served as vice president of mergers and acquisitions. In this position, he completed numerous acquisitions totaling in excess of $1 billion.
Mr. Garelick was a key member of the deal teams recognized in The Recorder’s 2017 Corporate Department of the Year contest, in which Skadden took top honors in the U.S. M&A and Cross-Border M&A categories. He also has been listed for inclusion in IFLR1000.
Notable M&A transactions in which Mr. Garelick has been involved include representing:
- A&E Television Networks in its joint venture with Vice Media to launch a new cable channel called Viceland;
- Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre as principal shareholders of Beats Electronics and Beats Music in the $3 billion sale of Beats to Apple;
- AdvancePierre Foods Holdings, Inc. in its $4.2 billion acquisition by Tyson Foods, Inc.;
- CB Franchise Systems, LLC, owner of The Counter and BUILT Custom Burger franchises, in its sale to MTY Food Group Inc.;
- EMCORE Corporation in the sale of its tunable laser and transreceiver product lines to NeoPhotonics Corporation;
- Freedom Communications in its sale of the Orange County Register and numerous other print and online publications to multiple buyers;
- the founders of global internet telephone provider Skype Technologies in their participation in a consortium that re-acquired Skype from eBay; and
- J.D., University of California Hastings College of the Law, 1994 (cum laude)
- B.S., San Diego State University, 1991 (magna cum laude)
Admissions : California
- Member, Board of Governors, USC Gould School of Law — LACBA Corporate Law Departments Section Institute for Corporate Counsel
- Member, Board of Directors, Alliance for Children’s Rights
Rate : $$$