Andrew M. Grumet focuses his work in the areas of charitable giving, philanthropy and the general representation of domestic and international tax-exempt organizations. He is a member of the Professional Outsourced Philanthropic Solutions (POPS®) Team, which helps nonprofits and other social impact-oriented organizations solve their most critical strategic, administrative and development challenges.
Andrew works with a wide range of organizations, from domestic and international family foundations to public charities, schools, supporting organizations, museums, hospitals, religious organizations, community trusts and donor advised funds, trade associations, social clubs and social welfare organizations.
He counsels organizations on formation and organizational structuring, compensation and excess benefit/self-dealing advice, corporate governance, fundraising and state solicitation regulatory matters.
Andrew also advises them on corporate policies, UBTI issues and investments, including impact investments, PRIs and MRIs, establishment and modification of endowments and restricted funds, fiduciary duties, domestic and international grantmaking, tax and financial reporting, planned giving and special events.
He is frequently quoted on issues affecting nonprofit organizations and has appeared in publications such as The Chronicle of Philanthropy, TIME, The International Herald Tribune, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal. A selection of recent media appearances follows.
- Regularly provides advice and regulatory compliance services with respect to state solicitation laws and registration requirements, both initial and renewal, for numerous public charities with fundraising activities across the U.S.
- Regularly provides continuing education to board members, officers, staff and volunteers regarding best practices, fiduciary duties, legal developments, trends and techniques
- Regularly provides organizational audits of charities to assess not only financial strengths and deficiencies, but to determine the effectiveness of a charity’s operations and regulatory compliance
- Provided advice to national medical service organizations regarding excess benefit transactions with executive director
- Served as outside general counsel to national charity and individual state chapters in each state providing pooled special needs trust services to individuals
- Villanova University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, J.D.
- Syracuse University, B.A.
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
Rate : $$$