Andrew D. Lanphere, a San Francisco-based Pillsbury Litigation partner, is known for handling high-stakes antitrust, unfair competition, information privacy and data breach matters. Drew represents clients in state and federal court cases at the trial and appellate levels, and also regularly arbitrates complex matters.
In addition to antitrust, unfair competition and information privacy/data breach actions, Drew handles finance and banking, health care, real estate, securities, intellectual property, insurance and reinsurance disputes.
Drew has successfully tried cases in various judicial and arbitral settings, often resolving cases prior to trial through dispositive motions or favorable settlements.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Won complete victory at trial and on appeal in case alleging below-cost and loss leader sales at gasoline stations operated by a major grocery chain.
- Defended a leading electronics company against claims that it participated in a cartel to fix prices of liquid crystal displays used in televisions, computers and mobile devices.
- Obtained class certification denial in case alleging a natural gas pipeline and shipping companies engaged in a cartel to allocate pipeline shipping capacity in violation of the Sherman Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in case brought against major grocery chain against claims under the Cartwright Act and Unfair Practices Act based on client’s operation of fuel stations and offering of grocery-based fuel promotions.
- Defended a leading retailer against Sherman Act and Cartwright Act claims arising out of an alleged group boycott with respect to power tools.
- Defended a major telecommunications company against class action alleging violations of the California Unfair Competition Law and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
- Represented a senior executive in compliance investigation by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Represented major financial institution and its affiliated broker-dealer in investigation by the Securities & Exchange Commission
- Represented health care provider in class action concerning alleged unauthorized disclosure of patient health information.
- Represented health care providers in enforcement matters concerning alleged unauthorized disclosures of patient health information.
- Representing numerous major underwriters against securities fraud claims arising out of sale of mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented individual investor in prosecuting claims for securities fraud under the California Corporations Code and related claims arising out of private-company investment.
- Represented landowner in Sonoma County Superior Court in water rights dispute between adjoining landowners.
- Represented title insurer in Fresno County Superior Court in case involving allegations of identity theft and resulting fraudulent real estate transactions.
- Represented insurer/reinsurer in series of disputes regarding reinsurance of workers’ compensation insurance.
- Obtained summary judgment for university in case alleging misappropriation of intellectual property by university and professor.
- Represented major semiconductor company in prosecuting and defending against claims of trade secret misappropriation.
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1997
- B.A., Brown University, 1993
ADMISSIONS : California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
Rate : $$$$