Andrew D. Price, co-chair of Venable’s Trademark, Copyright & Licensing Group, is a nationally recognized IP attorney who helps clients establish, protect, and profit from their brands worldwide.
Andrew manages large portfolios of trademarks, exploits IP opportunities, and controls crisis situations for clients of all sizes—from startups and celebrities to nonprofits and multinational corporations.
He focuses on brand strategy, as well as clearing, registering, licensing, and enforcing all types of trademarks worldwide (e.g., brand names, logos, slogans, trade dress such as product configuration, and nontraditional marks such as motion marks).
Andrew’s practice includes bringing and defending opposition and cancellation actions before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). He also works closely with the firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group to bring and defend against trademark-related lawsuits, including preliminary injunction motions, in U.S. federal court, and has settled cases by mediation.
Abroad Andrew oversees a personal network of top foreign lawyers in a full range of trademark work, from searching to litigation, and has significant experience in China. Andrew is a member of Venable’s Diversity Committee.
- Intern, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia
- Represented the American Bar Association in reaching a landmark trademark settlement involving its core brand indicia, through the use of mediation
- Managed the TIME’S UP brand in its high-profile global launch to address sexual harassment and gender inequality in the workplace
- Guided a Fortune 500 company RR Donnelley through a year-long process of rebranding itself and spinning off two public companies with new brands on a global basis
- Helped Project Management Institute manage one of the first trademark litigations in China before the new Beijing IP Court
- Registered the name of Apple’s iPhone App of the Year based on acquired distinctiveness, after a personal meeting with the examiner, months before the award
- Licensed a nonprofit client’s slogan for use in branding one of the biggest award shows in the entertainment industry
- Provided strategic counsel to a Fortune 250 company on how to evolve its house brands, and filed a number of stealth applications in the process
- Worked with Venable’s litigation team to defend and file preliminary injunction actions in U.S. District Court, resulting in favorable settlements
- Served as global trademark counsel to a leading mobile phone manufacturer Sony Mobile (formerly Sony Ericsson) for ten years, and served a second leading manufacturer in the same way for two years
- J.D. Southern Methodist University 1996
- B.A. Vanderbilt University 1991
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Mensa
- Member, International Trademark Association and its Public and Media Relations Committee
- Member, American Bar Association
- Former member, Venable Hiring Committee for the Washington, DC office — when the firm’s summer associate program was ranked as one of the top in the country by Vault
- Former member, Venable’s Partnership Selection Committee
- Represents DC Central Kitchen and Together We Bake
- Volunteer, Law Rocks – raises money for the nonprofit Together We Bake, with a three-year fundraising total of $60,000
- Volunteers to support a local Boy Scout troop, high school marching band, and soccer team
- Winner of Venable DC’s Sir Francis Drake Bocce Tournament and its annual Halloween contest / talent show
- Mentored a promising paralegal for ten years, culminating in her graduation from law school summa cum laude
Rate : $$$