Andrew W. Rinehart focuses his practice on patent litigation matters. Mr. Rinehart worked with the firm as a summer associate in 2012. Before attending law school, Mr. Rinehart was a Captain in the United States Army and the North Carolina National Guard, where he served in several command and staff assignments.
Mr. Rinehart deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom for 15 months with the 1st Infantry Division, during which time he was awarded a Bronze Star Medal and a Combat Action Badge.
- Counsel for patentee Racing Optics in four inter partes review petitions filed by competitor Aevoe challenging validity of Racing Optics’ patents related to touch screen protectors, with related action in D. Nevada. U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Patent Trial and Appeal Board, Case Numbers IPR2016-01164, IPR2016-01165, IPR2016-01166, and IPR2016-01745.
- On March 5, 2014, Kilpatrick Townsend was successful on behalf of Motorola Mobility in winning summary judgment against EON Corp. IP Holdings, LLC less than three weeks before trial, in a case that had been pending in the District of Delaware for nearly three and one-half years. The court’s grant of summary judgment was decided on the relatively uncommon ground of invalidity by indefiniteness, and entirely invalidated EON’s patent, ending the case at the district court. On May 6, 2015, the Federal Circuit, in a unanimous opinion, affirmed summary judgment granted by the District of Delaware. EON Corp. IP Holdings, LLC v. FLO TV Inc., No. 10-812-RGA, 2014 WL 906182 (D. Del. Mar. 4, 2014).
- As lead trial counsel to the inventor and patent owner, obtained a verdict of willful infringement and an award of $20.3 for past damages after a seven day jury trial in the Eastern District of Texas. The Court increased the award to $23.6 million after ruling on post-trial motions. The two related inter partes review hearings resulted in an exceedingly rare final determination upholding the patentability of all challenged claims.
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D. (2013) cum laude
- Wake Forest University School of Business, M.B.A. (2013) with honors
- Wake Forest University, B.S., Computer Science (2005) magna cum laude
- North Carolina (2013)
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina (2013)
Rate : $$$