Andrew M. Spurchise advises and represents employers in a broad range of employment law matters, including : Wage and hour class actions, Discrimination issues, All types of traditional labor and employment issues.
He appears in state and federal courts and before the National Labor Relations Board to defend clients against claims arising under : The National Labor Relations Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, The Fair Employment and Housing Act.
Andrew has successfully represented clients in a number of class action lawsuits in both state and federal court, including nationwide class and collective actions. While he handles all types of wage and hour cases, he focuses his practice on defending clients in every industry against claims of independent contractor misclassification. His successes include :
- A bench trial decision in Los Angeles Superior Court finding that certain delivery drivers were independent contractors and ordering the California Employment Development Department to refund employment taxes improperly assessed to a client.
- An order on behalf of a Fortune 500 company denying class certification, with prejudice, in a California state court case alleging unpaid overtime wages, missed meal and rest breaks, wage statement violations, and unpaid business expense reimbursement.
- Trial counsel on behalf of “gig economy” company in three arbitration wins before retired California Superior Court judges, finding drivers were properly classified independent contractors.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of “gig economy” company in multiple administrative trials finding couriers to be properly classified as independent contractors.
Prior to joining Littler Mendelson in 2006, Andrew was a law clerk at Region 2 of the National Labor Relations Board. In law school, he was notes editor for the Public Interest Law Journal.
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, 2006
- B.S., Cornell University, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
Rate : $$$$