Andrew L. Steinberg advises nonprofit organizations on their legal matters and sensitive business affairs. Senior management and boards of charities, foundations, trade and professional associations, museums, cultural and religious institutions, and other tax-exempt organizations frequently rely on Andrew as their outside general counsel, and as a go-to resource for discrete projects arising from their operations.
His experience providing real-world, actionable advice extends to virtually every type of legal issue and best practice relevant to domestic and multinational nonprofit organizations of all sizes.
Andrew’s practice focuses on nonprofit and tax-exempt organization legal issues. Clients benefit from having an adept and accessible advisor who can quickly understand and manage the full array of their legal and business affairs. Andrew assists clients with:
- Formation and organizational restructuring
- Governance issues and reviews of bylaws and corporate policies
- Federal and state tax exemption applications and tax-exempt status compliance
- Managing conflicts of interest
- Charitable giving and fundraising
- Mergers and acquisitions, asset transfers, and dissolutions
- Antitrust compliance and training
- Insurance coverage
In situations that require experience in other substantive areas – including privacy and data security, real estate, employment, technology services transactions, international trade and customs, and litigation – Andrew is accustomed to drawing on the knowledge of colleagues in the firm’s leading core practice groups who are familiar with the special needs of nonprofit organizations.
Abroad, Andrew engages a curated network of top foreign lawyers to provide guidance on overseas legal requirements that apply to nonprofits. Together, they give seamless and comprehensive legal support that enables clients to fulfill their missions.
- Assisted a high-profile entertainment industry nonprofit to overhaul governance structures, adopt an enforceable membership code of ethics program, and navigate member discipline crises and reputational concerns in connection with the #MeToo movement
- Served as lead associate guiding a U.S. educational nonprofit through a complex governance redesign and multinational reorganization of overseas offices
- Advised one of the largest international development organizations in a mission-related joint venture with a for-profit entity involving micro-financing and access to financial services for the underserved
- Serving as general counsel to small and large charities, professional societies, and a variety of industry trade groups on their day-to-day operations
- Defended a professional charity fundraiser in connection with a state attorney general investigation and then a lawsuit regarding solicitation practices, including deposing parties and coordinating discovery collection, review, and production
- J.D. magna cum laude William & Mary School of Law 2014
- B.A. Government & Politics, Criminology & Criminal Justice University of Maryland 2011.
Bar Admissions : Maryland, District of Columbia
Professional Memberships :
- Mentor, William & Mary Law School Co-Counsel Program
- Firm coordinator, Generous Associates Campaign of the Washington Lawyers’ Committee.
Rate : $$$