With a practice spanning nearly 25 years, Angela B. Styles is among the most prominent government contracts lawyers in the United States. Angela helps clients efficiently resolve federal government contracting issues with executive branch departments and agencies without litigation.Angela advises and advocates for companies in contracting matters with the departments of Defense, Energy, Interior, Homeland Security and Veterans’ Affairs, as well as the General Services Administration (GSA).
She also represents multiple companies and universities operating within the National Lab complex.She is recognized for her deep experience in government procurement policy, cost and pricing issues, commercial item contracting, Other Transaction Authority agreements and compliance. Angela also assists clients in matters involving:
- Suspension and debarment
- Procurement integrity
- Civil false claims
- Anti-Kickback Act
- Schedule contracting
- Complex internal investigations
- Intellectual property
- Buy American Act and Trade Agreements Act.
She brings to bear her experience as an administrator for federal procurement policy within the OMB, a position that required confirmation by the U.S. Senate, and the GSA’s Public Buildings Service. For eight years, Angela served in the role of executive director of the Defense Industry Initiative on Business Ethics and Conduct.
Angela has testified about complex federal procurement issues at more than 30 hearings before committees for the Senate and U.S. House of Representatives, including:
- Senate Armed Services
- Senate Government Affairs
- House Armed Services
- House Veterans’ Affairs
- House Small Business
- House Government Reform.
Angela’s previous private practice experience includes chairing the government contracts practice at another international law firm and serving as that firm’s chair.
- Served as Administrator for Federal Procurement Policy within the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) at the White House.
- Worked as legislative aide for Congressman Joe Barton and the Governor of the State of Texas.
- Advises through the full life cycle of the federal contracting process.
- Has represented clients in suspension and debarment matters before nearly every federal agency.
- Represented a contractor for the National Job Corps in a successful appeal of a Department of Labor contracting officer decision that denied an overhead and general and administrative claim on a Job Corps contract to the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.*
- Provided advice to a university, leading to a winning proposal to operate one of the largest of the Department of Energy’s National Laboratories.*
- For a large technology company, prepared a mandatory disclosure and settled price reduction under the GSA schedules program on favorable terms with the GSA Inspector General.*
- Reached an agreement on behalf of a midsize technology company with the GSA on dismissal of a suspension and proposed debarment and an Administrative Agreement for criminal issues associated with former principals of the company.*
- For a large services company, prepared and resolved a mandatory disclosure to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for ethics issues related to the hiring of a former federal government employee.*
- For a large manufacturing company, prepared and resolved a mandatory disclosure with the U.S. Department of Defense related to “inverted domestic corporation” certifications.*
- Worked with a large manufacturing and energy company to resolve a potential suspension by the U.S. Department of the Army related to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues.*
- For a medical device company, prepared and resolved a joint mandatory disclosure to the GSA and the Department of Veterans Affairs relating to the pricing of medical devices on its schedules program.*
- Successfully represented a large aerospace company before the Air Force Suspension and Debarment Office after receiving a show cause letter related to a subsidiary’s plea agreement.*
- Advised a national commercial architecture firm regarding a closeout of an Administrative Agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs.*
*Work completed prior to Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP.
- Champion, Center for Women in Law
- Board member, Texas Historical Foundation.
- Board member and chair of audit committee, UChicago, Argonne National Laboratory.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1994
- B.A., University of Virginia, with honors, 1990
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$