Angelique (Angel) Newcomb represents and counsels management in all aspects of labor and employment law, with an emphasis on employment discrimination litigation. She represents a wide range of employers, from family-owned business to one of the nation’s biggest energy providers.
She appears in state and federal courts and has extensive experience before various administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.
She has successfully defended claims under: Title VII and state anti-discrimination laws, The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Ohio Whistleblower Statute, Ohio Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Statute.
Angel has tried several employment discrimination cases. In March 2013, she obtained a directed verdict in Ohio state court on a claim for national origin discrimination. The jury then returned a verdict in favor of the employer on the remaining claim for retaliation.
This victory created a domino effect for the employer in which two plaintiffs in related cases voluntarily dismissed their cases and four other plaintiffs settled their cases on terms very favorable to the employer.
Angel is well regarded for her meticulous preparation and tenacious deposition skills. Her ability to develop critical evidence during deposition which severely weakens or eviscerates the plaintiff’s claims has led to the early resolution of numerous cases on terms advantageous for the employer.
In one age discrimination case, she obtained numerous concessions from the plaintiff confirming she had violated company policy. This led the plaintiff and her counsel to stop the deposition on the condition she voluntarily dismiss her case with prejudice.
Similarly in another case involving allegations of age discrimination and retaliation, Angel’s skill during deposition revealed the plaintiff had no evidence to support her claims, and she succeeded in securing critical concessions from the plaintiff.
When these concessions were highlighted in the company’s motion for summary judgment, the plaintiff elected not to oppose the motion and voluntarily dismissed her case.
Angel has secured dismissals through dispositive motions and prevailed in numerous state and federal courts on a variety of discrimination and workplace tort claims including:
- Obtaining summary judgment in West Virginia State Court in claims of sexual harassment and retaliation brought by a plaintiff who had voluntarily resigned her employment after being passed-up for promotion, which was affirmed on appeal by the Supreme Court of West Virginia.
- Obtaining summary judgment in race discrimination, disability discrimination and invasion of privacy claims brought by a current employee who believed a personality conflict with her direct supervisor was racially motivated.
- Obtaining dismissal of a retaliation claim made by an employee of a government contractor who could not show he engaged in any protected activity.
In addition to her litigation work, Angel provides training and labor and employment counseling to clients in numerous sectors including energy, government contracting, manufacturing, healthcare, construction, residential property management, hospitality and financial services. She is a frequent presenter at continuing legal education seminars as well as seminars designed for human resource professionals, with a focus on sexual harassment training and prevention. In 2015, Angel began exploring her interest in alternative dispute resolution by completing a 16-hour mediation training course offered by Community Mediation Services of Central Ohio. She also previously served as an adjunct professor of appellate advocacy at the Ohio State University College of Law.
- J.D., The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 1997
- B.A., Columbia University, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Delaware County Bar Association
- Member, Human Resource Association of Central Ohio (HRACO)
Rate : $$$