With over 20 years of experience in commercial litigation, Ann Marie Mortimer has successfully resolved the most difficult cases facing her clients. She has an established track record in class action consumer claims litigation, focusing on data security, false advertising and unfair competition class actions.
Her cross-disciplinary practice encompasses complex commercial transactions, litigation of distribution agreements, and toxic tort/environmental claims.
In connection with counseling clients to manage downstream litigation risk, Ann Marie has conducted internal investigations and provided related counseling to the law departments of technology companies, financial institutions and consumer product manufacturers focused on compliance, best practices and enhanced integration with the stakeholder business units.
Ann Marie is the managing partner of the Los Angeles office and co-head of the firm’s commercial litigation practice. Ann Marie’s practice is cross-disciplinary and includes significant business and class action consumer claims litigation experience in relation to data breach, consumer related labeling claims, as well as environmental, CERCLA and toxic tort multi-party litigation.
In a highly-publicized and currently ongoing matter, Ann Marie currently serves as the lead attorney defending an internet service provider in more than 40 related consumer class action lawsuits across several districts in state and federal court regarding a significant data breach. The breach has been deemed the largest data breach in history.
In connection with her litigation practice, Ann Marie routinely counsels clients on matters involving internal investigations and monitoring compliance of corporate legal departments, limiting litigation risk by auditing compliance to ensure a robust and transparent program.
As part of her aggregate claims practice, Ann Marie has successfully decertified a nationwide products class action, and defeated class certification in multiple products, toxic tort, unfair competition and unfair trade practice cases.
Ann Marie has tried toxic tort, commercial and products cases in state and federal courts throughout California. Ann Marie is admitted to practice before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California.
- Serves as the lead lawyer defending an internet service provider in multiple consumer class action lawsuits across several districts in state and federal courts regarding a significant data breach. The data breach has been deemed the largest data breach in history. The lawsuit includes 42 class actions.
- Serves as lead trial lawyer for a petroleum company, developing strategy on federal removal, particularly with respect to Clean Air issues, which are central to the case. This lawsuit represents a new frontier in environmental law – whether the actions of oil companies marketing their product to consumers constitutes public nuisance.
- Represented a major sports and casual apparel company in a putative class action in California federal court by a user of its fitness app claiming the company is liable for the theft of personal information from plaintiff and millions of others in a data breach.
- Represented pharmaceutical and life science companies, energy drink manufacturer, spirits manufacturer, cosmetics manufacturer, financial institutions, apparel manufacturer, sawmill and nationwide retail outlets in contract disputes, consumer claims and class actions.
- Represented internet service provider in Stored Communications Act, 17200 and related claims.
- Defended internet service provider in class action, 17200 and related data privacy claims.
- Represented consumer goods manufacturer in multiple nationwide putative class actions in unfair competition, false advertising and related statutory claims.
- Represented pharmaceutical companies, consumer product manufacturers, nationwide retailer, sawmill operator, and financial institutions in civil suits and regulatory enforcement actions involving coordinated internal investigations, litigation and defense counseling.
- Represented aerospace manufacturer in successful defense of thousands of claims in three separate trials related to allegedly harmful health exposures, property damage (including negligence, nuisance and trespass claims) and fear of cancer based upon alleged exposures to chemicals including PCE, TCE and CR-6.
- Defended negligence, nuisance, trespass and personal injury claims related to alleged environmental contamination caused by historic manufacturing activities.
- Represented former saw mill operator in CERCLA allocation action, including defense of related negligence and nuisance claims.
- Served as nationwide counsel for medical device manufacturer in decertifying nationwide class and obtaining dismissal of product liability, unfair competition and CLRA claims.
- Represented pharmaceutical and medical device companies in negligence and strict liability claims related to heart valves, diet drugs, ED medication, antidepressants, diabetes medication, blood products and dialysis equipment.
- JD, University of California School of Law (Boalt Hall), Editor, California Law Review, 1992
- MSc, London School of Economics, 1989
- AB, Smith College, cum laude, 1988
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US District Court, Central District of California
- Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Member, DRI (Defense Research Institute)
Rate : $$$$