Ansgar A. Simon has a broad-based transactional tax practice. He regularly advises on mergers and acquisitions, restructuring transactions, recapitalizations, divestitures (including spin-offs), and the structuring of joint ventures, involving both corporations and partnerships for tax purposes.
He also regularly advises on the structuring and ongoing tax matters of private equity funds and other alternative investment vehicles, and the structuring for their portfolio investments.
Mr. Simon has extensive experience advising clients on international tax matters. He regularly represents clients on inbound and outbound U.S. federal income tax matters such as CFC, GILTI and PFIC planning, related tax-efficient (re-)structurings, foreign currency-related matters, and the application and use of U.S. tax treaties.
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 1999
- University of California, Los Angeles, Ph.D., 1996
- University of Bielefeld, M.A., 1990
Bar Admissions : New York
Representative Matters :
- Illumina Inc. in its pending $1.2 billion acquisition of Pacific Biosciences.
- Emergent BioSolutions in its acquisition of PaxVax from group of investors including an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management.
- Elbit Systems in its acquisition of Universal Avionics Systems.
- ONCAP and Mavis Tire Holdings LLC in the combination of Mavis Tire Holdings LLC and Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers.
- Aristocrat Leisure Limited in its acquisition of Big Fish Games, Inc. from Churchill Downs Incorporated.
- Various other royalty monetization transactions, including for the Boston Children’s Hospital.
- Javelin Global Commodities in the formation and tax structuring of its worldwide commodities trading business.
- SunGard Data Systems, Inc. in its tax-free spin-off of its Availability Services operations.
- American Axle in its out-of-court restructuring.
- DaimlerChrysler AG in its disposition of 80.1% of Chrysler Holding LLC to Cerberus.
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Fellow, American College of Tax Counsel
- New York State Bar Association, Member of the Executive Committee of the Tax Section; Co-Chair of the Committee on Cross-Border M&A
- American Bar Association, Member of the Section of Taxation
- Member of Tax Review (New York)
Rate : $$$