Anthony E. Antognoli focuses his business practice on the representation of large and mid-size clients in the areas of employee benefits, federal taxation, and tax-exempt organization matters. Mr. Antognoli advises employers on the design and drafting of qualified retirement plans, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, equity compensation plans and welfare benefit plans.
He also regularly counsels employers on a broad range of related issues, including multiemployer pension plan withdrawal liability, employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), educational assistance plans and other fringe benefit programs, and requirements for the investment of plan assets.
He has recently devoted a substantial portion of his practice to advising employers on complying with 2010’s health care reform legislation and related guidance. Mr. Antognoli primarily counsels clients on transactional matters, with a focus on issues arising in mergers and acquisitions.
He has served as lead ERISA counsel in a $320 million acquisition of an industrial firm, as co-tax and ERISA counsel in the $90.5 million sale of a managed care firm, and as co-tax and ERISA counsel in the acquisitions of several tax-exempt health care systems.
Representative Matters : He has also represented clients in controversies before the Internal Revenue Service and U.S. Department of Labor, and in litigation in the United States Tax Court and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. His reported cases include:
- DeGrave v. National Automatic Merchandising Association, 39 Benefits Cas. 2871 (N.D. Ill. 2007)
- DeGrave v. National Automatic Merchandising Association Pension Plan, 392 F.Supp.2d 1032 (N.D. Ill. 2005)
Professional Affiliations :
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Taxation LL.M. program, Adjunct faculty member (2007–Present)
- Chicago Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, IRS Liaison Subcommittee, Chair (2005–2007)
- ESOP Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Joint Committee on Employee Benefits, Member
- J.D., Certificate in Tax Law, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2000
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Tax Court.
Rate : $$$$