Anthony Martin practices in the areas of corporate and international law, as well as estate planning. He has substantial experience in corporate law and international transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, financings, protection of intellectual and other property, employee compensation and equity plans, and contractual matters involving privately held, as well as publicly held companies.
Mr. Martin has assisted clients in a broad range of international commercial activities, including joint ventures, distribution, agency and licensing agreements, advice on creditor protection and regulatory compliance, including the foreign corrupt practices act.
As an estate planner, Mr. Martin has more than 35 years of experience counseling family offices, individuals, married and divorced spouses, business owners and executives, and U.S. citizens and residents, as well as non-U.S. citizens, in the techniques of preserving and transferring wealth, protecting assets, providing for children, elderly and other family members, business succession planning, expatriation from the U.S., IRS reporting for foreign assets and accounts, and counseling clients generally in the integration of business and estate planning strategies. He has also assisted clients in the probating of estates and administering trusts, domestic and foreign, at times in the role of fiduciary or trust protector.
Mr. Martin has advised entrepreneurs and companies engaged in a broad range of commerce, including: computer hardware and software; e-commerce; biotechnology; scientific and medical research; pharmaceuticals and medical devices; manufacture, distribution and retailing of consumer and industrial products; electronics; cryogenics; publishing; fire retardation; life settlements; oil service technologies; personnel recruitment and placement; personal restraints; telecommunications; product design; real estate; commercial and management services; and mortgage servicing. He also counsels a significant number of clients in the healthcare industry, as well as nonprofit entities.
- Business Transactions
- Representation of heavy/civil contractor with family and ESOP shareholders in significant M&A transaction with publicly traded company
- Counseling family owned businesses on significant tax savings prior to major liquidity events
- Representation of seller of energy services company in transaction in excess of $150 million
- Counseling U.S. clients on settlements of contentious litigations involving patents and other issues
- Assisting senior medical professional transition from former practice group to new one
- Assisting Middle East, Turkish, UK and European clients with entry into U.S. marketplace using joint ventures and acquisitions
- Assisting start-up and early stage companies with structuring and financing
- Estate Planning:
- Decanted trusts to convert into directed trusts for a family office
- Restructuring of multi-generational family office with substantial assets, including trust decanting and re-siting
- Transitioning family business from senior generation to adult child tax efficiently
- Managing transatlantic probates with litigation and regulatory issues in both jurisdictions
- Creditor protection planning with limited liability companies, domestic and offshore asset protection trusts
- Planning for donor-advised philanthropic gift of substantial size
- Advice on foreign grantor and non-grantor trust distributions to U.S. beneficiaries and acquisition of U.S. property
- Prosecution of challenges to wills and trusts and successful settlement of the contest without protracted litigation
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1975
- University of Chicago, Ph.D., 1970
- University of Chicago, M.A., 1966
- York University (Toronto), B.A., 1964
Admissions : Massachusetts
- Lawyers Committee of Massachusetts Commission on the Status of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP)
- Boston Bar Association
- British American Business Council of New England
Rate : $$$$