Apalla U. Chopra is Chair of O’Melveny’s Labor and Employment Practice, and a member of the Firm’s Policy Committee. She specializes in litigating complex multi-plaintiff and class action discrimination and wage and hour cases.
Her experience is broad as she has represented clients in cases regarding employee allegations of invasion of privacy, wrongful discharge, and discrimination based on age, race, gender, national origin, physical handicap, and related matters.
Apalla also conducts independent investigations into high profile allegations of employee misconduct on behalf of companies, boards and special committees. She has represented clients in traditional labor matters under the National Labor Relations Act and Educational Employment Relations Act, and has experience negotiating collective bargaining agreements and executive employment contracts.
In addition, Apalla is among a handful of lawyers colleges and universities turn to for their most complex and high profile legal challenges, including Title IX and Clery Act investigations and follow-on litigation into their handling of sexual assault allegations.
Apalla’s industry experience is likewise broad, as she has represented companies in the biotechnology, manufacturing, utility, health, retail, hospitality, private and public schools, and entertainment sectors.
- University of California, Hastings College of Law, J.D., 1992: cum laude; Thurston Society; Senior Note Editor, Hastings Law Review
- University of California at Irvine, B.A., Political Science and Economics, 1988: magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions : California
Court Admissions : US District Court for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
Professional Activities :
- American Employment Law Council (Advisory Committee, 2016)
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- California Employment Law Counsel
- California Bar Association
- Institute for Corporate Counsel, Board of Governors (President, 2008; Secretary, 2007)
Rate : $$$