Aparna B. Joshi represents employers in a wide variety of labor and employment matters. She has substantial experience advising aviation industry clients, representing airlines in federal court litigation under the Railway Labor Act, as well as in labor arbitrations, mediations, collective bargaining negotiations and proceedings before the National Mediation Board and the National Labor Relations Board.
She also has significant experience representing clients in employment class action litigation as well as in international labor matters. Additionally, Aparna represents employers in a wide range of employment discrimination matters including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, wrongful discharge, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. She further routinely advises clients on employee terminations and other employment matters.
Aparna actively works to improve diversity in the legal profession including as a member of the Firm’s Diversity Working Group and as a past Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), a growing organization of more than 200 corporate chief legal officers and law firm managing partners dedicated to creating a truly diverse legal profession.
- Spirit Airlines v. Air Line Pilots Association, et al. (S.D. Fla) – Counsel for Spirit Airlines – successfully obtained injunctive relief for Spirit Airlines prohibiting a job action by pilots.
- Cunningham v. United Airlines, et al. (N.D. Ill.) – Counsel for United Airlines – successfully obtained dismissal of complaint brought by a putative class of pilots alleging breach of the collective bargaining agreement by United resulting in reduction of pay longevity and collusion in an alleged breach of the duty of fair representation by the pilots’ union.
- Wyatt v. United Airlines (E.D.N.C.) – Counsel for United Airlines – successfully obtained dismissal of complaint challenging the Company’s changes to its employee pass travel program following the merger of United and Continental Airlines.
- Flight Attendants in Reunion v. American Airlines, et al. (E.D.N.Y) – Counsel for American Airlines – successfully obtained dismissal of complaint alleging violation of McCaskill-Bond in connection with the seniority list integration following the merger of American and US Airways and alleging collusion in an alleged breach of the duty of fair representation by the flight attendants’ union.
- Local 591 Transport Workers Union of America v. American Airlines (N.D. Ill.) – Counsel for American Airlines – successfully obtained dismissal of complaint by union local and four individuals alleging claims under the Railway Labor Act for failure to resolve disputes arising from a collective bargaining agreement; for interference with representation rights; and failure to “treat” with the certified bargaining representative.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Seventh Circuits
- University of Chicago, J.D., 2000: with honors
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., International Relations, 1996: summa cum laude
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Railway and Airline Labor Law Committee
- District of Columbia Women’s Bar Association
Rate : $$$