Ari D. MacKinnon’s practice focuses on disputes matters in Latin America with a particular emphasis on international arbitration and corruption issues. Ari joined the firm in 2009 and became a partner in 2015.
Ari has successfully represented a number of major Latin American oil and gas, energy, infrastructure, and pulp and paper companies as well as other clients in disputes in the region. He speaks regularly in Latin America on topics related to arbitration and crisis management. Ari has experience conducting arbitration and corruption-related reviews in both English and Spanish.
- A major Latin American oil and gas company in the successful prosecution of a Spanish-language IACAC arbitration relating to a concession agreement governed by Peruvian law.
- Latin American affiliates of international oil and gas companies in an ongoing ICC arbitration in New York relating to the interpretation of a gas sales agreement.
Enforcement and Investigations
- An international financial institution in parallel investigations being conducted by, among others, the UK Financial Conduct Authority, the U.S. Department of Justice, and the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, relating to the FX market; also counsel to the same institution in regulatory investigations in the U.S. related to the setting of the ISDAFIX.
- FCPA and corporate governance advice to a Mexican construction company in connection with an investigation by the CNBV and potential investigation by the SEC.
- BNP Paribas in clawback actions brought by the Trustee of the Madoff Estate in connection with the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- Alpha Natural Resources and certain of its directors and officers in a successful motion to dismiss a federal securities law class action brought under Section 11 of the Securities Act.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Middlebury College, M.A., 2003
- Grinnell College, B.A., 2002
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
Rate : $$$$