Ariel Ramos is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Oil & Gas and Infrastructure Investment groups and Banking & Finance practice and is based in the firm’s Mexico City office. Ariel primarily focuses on transactions related to power, oil and gas, finance, energy-related infrastructure, EPC, and Mexican energy reform, including Round One and procurement matters.
Ariel provides advice to international oil companies, Mexican oil service companies, developers and sponsors, financial institutions, investment bankers and private equity funds, construction companies and governmental entities on projects, cross border transactions and financings.
He assists clients in the structuring, negotiations and implementation of projects, risk assessment, regulatory advice, and governmental contracts, including E&P contracts (including purchase sale agreements and licenses), contracts with Pemex and its subsidiaries, power purchase agreements (PPA), long-term service contracts (CPS), public-private partnerships (PPP), public financed works (OPF), engineering, procurement and construction contracts (EPC), operation and maintenance contracts (O&M), and fuel and gas supply and transportation agreements.
He has advised on design and implementation of schemes for the development and financing of infrastructure projects, including preparation of financing and security agreements; performed analysis of permits and governmental authorizations required for the development of projects and real estate transactions; and on the preparation of bid proposals and the bid process.
Among other clients, Ariel has represented Noble Energy, Baker Hughes, Petrofac, Petronas, Braskem, Odebrecht, Banco Nacional de México/Citibank, BBVA Bancomer, Scotiabank, Bancomext, Banobras, NAFIN HSBC, the Japan Bank of International Cooperation (JBIC), Goldman Sachs & Co., Ingenieros Civiles Asociados (ICA), Credit Agricole, the Export Development Corporation (Canada), Mizuho Bank, US Ex-Im Bank, POSCO Enc., Samsubg, Nukem Inc., ABN AMRO Bank, the International Finance Corporation (IFC), Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi (BTM), Société Générale, Deutsche Bank, Royal Shell Co., ExxonMobil, Tokyo Electric Co. (TEPCO), Chubu Electric Power Co., the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP), the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) and the Federal Ministry of Health (SS).
- The University of Texas at Austin School of Law, LLM
- Escuela Libre de Derecho, LLB
Admissions : Mexico
- Round One. Advisor to International Oil Companies (including Noble Energy and Petronas) and Mexican Oil Companies (including Ranman Energy and Geo Estratos) in the registration and preparation of proposals for the Round 1 bids and the risk analysis of the E&P contracts in bids 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4.
- Migration. Advisor to Oil & Gas Service Companies (including Baker Hughes, Petrofac and Kimmeridge Energy-Lucoil) with respect to the migration of E&P Service Contracts with Pemex into Production Sharing Contracts with CNH.
- Citibank-Diavaz. Advisor to Citibank in the risk analysis of an incentivized contract between Pemex and Grupo Diavaz for a potential financing.
- Royal Dutch Shell. Special counsel to Shell Mexico in the analysis of the reform of 2008 and the E&P Service Contracts (CIEPS) proposed by Pemex.
- Los Ramones. Counsel to the Lenders lead by Banco Santander in the potential 30 billion pesos financing for the construction of the Los Ramones 850 km gas pipeline by TAG pipelines an affiliate of Pemex Gas y Petroquímica.
- San Fernando Pipeline. Pipeline Finance Deal of the Year. Advisor to the US Exim Bank and Citibank in the financing of the construction, operation and maintenance of the San Fernando gas pipeline sponsored by a joint venture between El Paso Natural Gas and Pemex Gas y Petroquímica Básica.
- Contracts and Negotiations with Pemex. Advisor to Mexican (Cotemar) and International Oil Companies (Baker Hughes, Kimmeridge Energy-Lucoil) and Financial Institutions (including Banobras, Bancomext and Scotiabank) with respect to the negotiations with Pemex and its subsidiaries.
- CFE (Federal Electricity Commission). Advisor to CFE on LNG matters related to LNG supply agreements for Manzanillo from Peru by Repsol and Altamira by Royal Dutch Shell.
- British Petroleum. Special counsel to British Petroleum with respect to the risk analysis and due diligence in connection with permits, governmental authorizations, real estate and rights of way for the ECA LNG Plant.
- GMR Acquisition of Intergen. Mexican advisor to GMR Infrastructure Ltd. in the due diligence for the purchase of the Intergen B.V. portfolio which included the la Rosita and Bajío IPP and self-supply power projects.
- Altamira II. Counsel to JBIC for the financing of the Altamira II project for the construction, operation and 7 maintenance of 495 MW gas-fired combined cycle power plants sponsored by EDFI and Mitsubishi for an amount of $450 million Dollars (named Latin American Power Project 2002 by Project Finance magazine).
- Sonnedix. Advisor to Sonnedix on the due diligence and risk assessments related to the potential purchase of solar projects in Sonora and Jalisco.
- El Ahogado. Advisor to POSCO Inc. in the analysis and preparation of a proposal for “El Ahogado” water treatment facility to be located in the State of Jalisco for an amount of approximately US$120 million.
Rate : $$$$